buying a tv online?

Through Amazon, specifically tigerdirect.

Significant price advantage over bestbuy/circuit city (~$500).

Are there any disadvantages with this (poor customer service if needed, etc.) I assume they do pick-up only at the UPS/FedEx office?

Experiences?

depends on the vendor.

I’ve just recently ordered a big DLP set online. Though it was warehoused in middle NY…

They offered “curbside” delivery - they delivered the box to the porch (or what have you). For an extra few bucks they can deliver it, unpack it, and set it where you want it. In some cases a few places offer a delivery with “setup” for a few more bucks (to simply plug it in basically).

Rubicant also had one delivered recently http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35230, maybe he can chime in.

My only advice is really: be sure that the warranty the vendor sells will cover your in-home stuff (particularly for large sets)… I’ve seen (rarely) some “unauthorized” vendors sell warranties that were relatively worthless.

FWIW, I ordered from www.intechav.com. Corporate login: HDBUYS

a buddy just got a tv from shop nbc. The one thing i like about shop nbc is that they break up the total into 6 payments. no interest either.

i bought from a website who used king’s express, and they carried the tv right into my living room. it’s pretty safe to do i think, i’ve purchased three online already with zero problems.

www.tvauthority.com

the best online retailer… great people and they know their shit

in other news, if you take the add from amazon or whatever and circuit carrys the same tv most of the time they will do their best to match it after shipping… i used to do that a bunch of times… just go in there and look at a tv and mention that you are doing research and are going to buy it online… but would purchase it in the store if they offered to match it… see what they say… i did it a bunch of times if the guy wasnt a dick

Bought my TV at Newegg.com. Shipped when it was supposed to, got to my shipping address with no scratches, dents, or marks of any kind. It all depends on the retailer but you might want to give Newegg a look. They had the best price including shipping of any vendor I looked at.

I got my 46" from Amazon. Free shipping, no tax, quick delivery.
And 30 day price protection :tup:

i bought an LCD from amazon too. quick, free shipping and the no tax makes a much better deal. i would advise going into a store to make sure the tv is what you want. it helps to physically see it compared to others. it may have the best specs in the world, but lack in performance.

i have heard a lot of people gripe about tigerdirect, but i think theyre ok. i have been to a couple of the actual stores and they are pretty good with everything. i guess they have a history of messing up rebates though. they do have good prices on most everything too.

Bumping this because I’m about to buy a 46 inch samsung LCD (LNT4665F)

I’m under the impression that if you buy a TV from anywhere, you HAVE to go through the manufacturer’s warranty if you don’t purchase an in-store warranty from say…Circuit City etc.

That said, does anyone have any experience with Samsung’s warranty? What will happen if my TV shits the bed after 6 months?

If I buy from Amazon, do I get any additional protection or is it still going to go straight to manufacturer’s warranty?

[quote=“Zong,post:9,topic:36919"”]

Bumping this because I’m about to buy a 46 inch samsung LCD (LNT4665F)

I’m under the impression that if you buy a TV from anywhere, you HAVE to go through the manufacturer’s warranty if you don’t purchase an in-store warranty from say…Circuit City etc.

That said, does anyone have any experience with Samsung’s warranty? What will happen if my TV shits the bed after 6 months?

If I buy from Amazon, do I get any additional protection or is it still going to go straight to manufacturer’s warranty?

[/quote]

sadly, I can speak to this.

I bought a Sam HLT6189S ~three weeks ago. The power button failed, causing the panel buttons & remote to not work. The set had been in my house for eight days.

I had bought a 3 yr warranty from the online vendor, but since it was so new, I simply called Samsung on a saturday night - from the number in the owners manual.

The tech was knowledgeable and fairly helpful. They gave me the name & number of the closet auth service center.

Lifetime Service

I knew from past experience that they are right on main & Union (iirc). Also, they are a forum sponser here.

In the end, Lifetime called me up first thing Monday morning, set an appt to come out, swap the power switch. Tech stated that because there are only two service parts available for this set so far (new model), if the switch & power supply weren’t the problem, Samsung would simply replace the set with new.

No money.

In my case, the 3rd party warranty will cover me concurrent, but due to it being so recently purchased, I didn’t even bother to call them.

Anyone know anything about Vizio?

seems i can get a nice 1080p LCD for like 800 on amazon

FWIW there are a bunch of places selling 42-50" namebrand DLP and Plasmas on Black friday for 799-899

[quote=“dozr,post:13,topic:36919"”]

FWIW there are a bunch of places selling 42-50" namebrand DLP and Plasmas on Black friday for 799-899

[/quote]

best buy and cc’s ads are out on the net… i went to best buy trying to see the sets they are selling and at my BB they arnt in stock :frowning:

[quote=“The_Russian,post:12,topic:36919"”]

[/quote]

:tif:

If you buy a vizio,get an extended warranty.

Thats all I’ve got to say,lol.

[quote=“Jon,post:15,topic:36919"”]

:tif:

If you buy a vizio,get an extended warranty.

Thats all I’ve got to say,lol.

[/quote]

But it’s the #1 selling brand!!! So says the commercial.

Thanks Nikuk. So if I have any problems with the tv in the first year, can I just call Lifetime Service?

Also, I’m kind of worried about getting the TV and finding out the warranty is expired already (I bought my gf a phone from an ebay site and that was the problem). When does the warranty period start?

got mine from dell, brought it up 2 flights of stairs and delivered it right on my tv stand.

Great service.

[quote=“BuickGN,post:18,topic:36919"”]

got mine from dell, brought it up 2 flights of stairs and delivered it right on my tv stand.

Great service.

[/quote]

and they didn’t include a knobjob? how can you say great service?

[quote=“The_Russian,post:12,topic:36919"”]

[/quote]

i have a vizio 720 LCD 42" in the bedroom, the overall quality is meh at best. only had it ~3 months, no problems, just not impressed.