CA Oil filter area, input required!

Hey guys, I posted a while back about a bunch of places where I had to plug off because I don’t have an oil cooler yet. I’m still having trouble finding a size to properly fit.

Some background info, apparently this CA engine was an A/T conversion, so right where the oil filter connects to the block (and on the underside) I have a male fitting which i’ve successfully hooked up for sending oil out to the turbo, but i still have that big gaping female end to deal with. With a ruler, I’m getting 5/8 diameter, but when i measure the plugs they come out to 5/8 it still doesn’t fit properly

Could this threaded female end be for an oil probe of some sort or possibly use metric size for plug? If anyone has had to deal with something like this please, let me know what you’ve done.

Here’s a link for the picture below…tell me if it doesn’t work hopefully someone can help me out here
http://myphotosite.telusmobility.com/mytm/control/photosite/7807227659@telusmobility?lang=EN

There’s the pic on the front page, and it’s also inside.

wat happens wen u runn the car, does it spit oil out of that port?

That looks almost the same as my oil filter kit. Note the two plugs on the silver base where the oil filter is attacged. The hole in yours looks a lot like the one on the right on my unit. It’s a spare plug that can be removed if an aftermarket sensor needs to be placed.

I didn’t measure my fittings etc. when I installed the relocation kit, but I think it’s less than the 5/8" hole yours has. If I had to guess, I’d say 5/16" or 3/8".

Try a few different sizes of metric bolt, if you find one that fits, use some teflon tape and it should be good to go. I’m assuming yu just want to plug the hole and be done with it.

Hey, finally some input, I haven’t had much time to work on the car so to answer dynamo’s question, I’m assuming oil will spill out, not running.

Thanks for the input dave, yea it does look to be similar to the relocation kit you have, I’ve tried many combinations, including 3/8 and such…but what seems to work alright is a -06 plug. Mopac didn’t have any -07 in stock and the -08 is far too big, with teflon tape it is secure…but i’m going to have to keep a close eye on that plug. Eventually I’ll be looking at an oil cooler, but for now, just plug her up and yes be done with it.

Does anyone know what sort of pressure builds up in the oil system?

k im 99% sure why the plug is not 5/8". its called a pipe thread, the plug should have a tapered thread, measure it where the hex is for a wrench with a pair of calipers and i bet it will just come out to over 5/8", and the tip will just be under. if thats the case u can get a plug from jbs or someone, but ull pay more. Call a place called Goodall, or Gregg’s, and get a plug through them, as well as some teflon tape if ure just gunna block it off for now. Or if u reall cant find one i can get em from work too. Just pm me if thats the case. As for pressure im not positive, ill have to look in a manual but i doubt it will be more than 60psi. And if u put the correct type plug in u wont have a problem cause teh be good to like 3000psi.

k just check my Factory manual for a ca18det and this is wat it says

Idle 11psi aprox
3000 rpm 50-60psi

Pressures are at operating tempurature with engine not under load.

well the plug i got is flared, so isn’t that pretty much tapered? it goes in hand tight but i haven’t torqued it down, cuz i don’t know if it’s slipping, and luckily i got a roll or two of teflon tape. If i can’t get it to work i’ll have to try other metric sizes

no flared and tapered r different, tapered there will be threats all the way down it, and it will be a vaery gradual taper. flared will be very sudden and at either 37 or 45 degrees without any threads on it… im bettin its a pipe thread, if it goes in 1 -1.5 turns the gets har to turn the try it with a wrnech, pipe plugs work like that its how they seal. If u could get me a better pic id be able to help more