Can a DET be used as a DE...yes you read that right.

Yeah but SRs are capable of 200whp N/A, and if he’s willing to spend the money to get it in the right fighting condition, it’d be an awesome street motor.

I agree… I believe either superstreet or sport compact car featured a SR20DE powered s13 that was putting out about 200whp individual throttle bodies off a GSX-R 1000 or 1300 cant remember fo sure and a SR20DET head. Point being Id take 200whp NA over 200whp boosted anyday of the week… Only thing you loose is the sound of a BOV

As for your question..  Yes they are the same block..  gaskets etc..   Id get a SR20DE block and pistons and run a sr20det head, better flow!!!  You can source sr20de from wreckers if u wanted t go that route..    nx2000 had them..   I know the wreckers around here has 3  

Also running a NA in a project car is simpler and cheaper than boost due to the extras you would have to get.. ie:  fmic, piping, fuel, boost controller and guages etc..

SOunds like a neat little project.. whats it goin in.. mg or something else old skool???

The build up is for my 510. I have debated the turbo thing over and over. In the long run I think the ITB’s will keep it nostalgic under the hood, I am not looking to be the quickest kid on the block. My only regret in the NA path is the lack of power which is why I am willing to spend to get whatever power i can. Thats actually how I stumbled acros the VE head swap. I plan to use a Tomei crank and then bore that beotch out as much as possible with some nice high compression.

Considering the car is roughly 2100lbs if i can get close to 210whp thats a nice power to weight ratio. The reason i wanna use a DET block is just incase down the road I get sick of the power I can swap in a lower compression piston and strap the turbo back on.

I debated doing this build with a KADE because it’s a cheaper core but the length of the stroke in a stroke KA makes me a tad nervous especially up top. I figure the DE is a safer “take it to the limit” NA build, if i use the DET as the core I can plug the turbo lines and crap and simply unplug if I decide to change to turbo and with the DE I also have the NA option of going with the VE head swap.

Anyways thanks for all the tips thus far keep em coming please.

Seann

ka’s definitely won’t rev as high even the race ones don’t… but it will be hella more torquey which is where your feeling of speed comes from anyways… use a ka, the valve train owns the sr and is alot less likely to break vs sr’s tossing rockers etc… cam on valve action is always better… also the ka head flows really well in comparison to some others…

but if your dead set on sr’s which i never understand… i have an sr20de in one of my silvias u can buy when it shows up…

i hate sr’s i’ve owned lots of fast ones and i just don’t like them…all my cars are/will be RB powered with the exception of my R30 which is an FJ which i want to keep original …

DET has oil squirters for underneath the pistons. it also has extra ports on the side for turbo oil and coolant passages - those’d have to be plugged.

front covers should be the same… they only differ between engines that were originally in RWD or FWD cars

bore and stroke is the same for both… obv the DET uses lower comp pistons, as you already mentioned.

you’d have to find a rwd NA manifold… or make your own, which if you are putting it into a 510, you probably planned on anyway

got pics of the dime? would love to see it

Thanks for the info. Will the squirters become an issue with a 90mm bore and a longer stroke? Are the turbo and coolant ports just NPT style plugs? I will be using Tomei’s ITB’s woth this setup. Would they bolt up to the S13 DET motor like they do the S13 DE? I originally had an S14 SR20DE sourced but someone I spoke with said the ITBs will not work with that head.

I dont think I am able to post pics yet. My profile says I cannot use attachments.

Seann

the s14 SRs use a different intake manifold, so maybe the ports are positioned or shaped differently

i dont know if there are substantial differences between s13 sr20de and det intake manifolds, but i know they use the same intake gasket… so theoretically the ITBs should work on a det head

use photobucket or imageshack for the pics, if you can

S13 SR20de and distributor while the s13 sr20det is coilpack correct?

yes.

now where are those 510 pics!

http://www.sr20forum.com/

that should help you out.

The most n/a info youll ever find.

btw a good buddy of mine was building a n/a 200 and it was seriously ill.

a good n/a set up is pure sex. gotta have fairly deep pockets though!