ka24det swap...turbo

Well…my little indecisive mind is made up. After hearing about some sr20’s that lived for less than 120,000 KM’s I’m done with them. I have a 1990 240 sx. It’s become quite the project. So far I have replaced the cross member, used por15 on both front wheel wells and the new cross member. Discovered that my engine is toast.(Kind of cool how my valve broke apart) and bought tokico gas struts all-round.

Now, the plans I want to put in a ka24de and add T on to the end of that. What’s involved with this? I have read “fcukven1” thread about the s14 ka. Do I still need to get the 91 or later gauge cluster if its from an S13? Any little problems I’m going to run into? I’m planning on making it from an S13…this should stop me from worrying about power steering lines?

Turbo? :drool: I’m looking for something that will have allot of mid range power. Any brands, kits, or links are appreciated.

Thanks,

:anal

well that depends on what engine you get, as you have to make sure that all of ur engine components are compatible with eachother so that it can run … so once you find an engine go from there. I would really recommend to get the engine from someone that has the ecu to be able to the manage engine, tranny with at least a half decent syncro for the gears, maf, wiring harness,replace clutch according to what you setup is going to be,also be sure to know that if you get a 91 plus engine your going to need a 91 plus cluster as far as i know, oh yeah almost forgot the LOWEST km as possible also you might want to check out www.ka-t.org … if im wrong in anyway someone correct me. But pretty much what your going to run into at the begining.

well hope that i was able to shine some light on the little project and GL

Ya, thanks…I’m planning on rebuilding the engine…hopfully bore it over a little and put some racing pistions in. I would probaly do the messy stuff while Im at it…port jobs ex.

LOL. I highly doubt that. I have put over 50,000 kms on mine since the swap, most of that at 14PSI with lots of track/drift days. It still pulls stong and i plan to shoot for 400HP on the stock bottom end.

How long do you think a turbo KA will last. I guarantee it will be the same as an SR.

But anyways this is not a KA VS SR war. If your car is that rusty i would recomend find a cleaner car before you do anything at all.

How long do you think a turbo KA will last. I guarantee it will be the same as an SR.
.[/quote]
My First KA onlt lasted 2 weeks and second one is already blown too. Dont get a KA unless you want to be replacing engines every 2 weeks.

KA-T=Garbage.

Im just going on what I’ve heard/read…did’nt mean to offend the sr20 people. I don’t plan to save any money by doing this. It just seems to make scence…On one hand I could order my 205 hp sr20 for 2200. Or I could drop 1500-1600 on making the KA push about 200. And then add on a turbo.

You sure you can make 200, AND THEN add the turbo? LOL

Racing pistons huh? I don’t mean to sound like an asshole but are you 16? I think you may have to do some more research into this.

i ahve heard that an na ka can make 300 without modification at all just rig up an ether acn to the intake and let er rip!!! :anal

well…thanks for the great help…I guess I was asking for it. Regardless, I’m going to go on and do it. 2003specv is right…I havnt looked into this a ton yeat but I plan to stick to this plan as best I can.

Hey good on ya, but make sure you are aware of what is possible and what it will cost.

Never thought i’d see the day when someone would say that, usually its like the very next post; KA won’t last you a week, lol…

Simple as this, SR is turbo from factory so the ecu is already designed for boost and takes more kindly to upgrades. The KA is not, so while the motor can handle the mods the ecu is not designed for it. So without adequate modifications to the ecu, or replacing it all together with standalone things go “boom”. Problem is people don’t budget for tunning or want to spend their money on other parts so they end up trying to run 15psi on a Z32 maf, safc, and a msd btm…while some have done it, most fail…then they blame the “weak truck motor” and try again changing nothing and fail again…now they buy a sr and rant on the boards for the next 5 years about how much the KA sucks and make comments like “Dont get a KA unless you want to be replacing engines every 2 weeks”…

Don’t get my wrong, i have nothing against the SR is an amazing motor that has proven itself time and time again…i do however have something against closed minded tools who bash the KA because they lacked the time, money, and know how to turbo a NA engine properly…

The SR and KA are very different, no one will argue that the sr is the easier choice especially for a young car guy getting into the scene with little to no know how with regards working on a car…and bashing on a guy for this would be stupid, hell from reading his first post i’d suggest he get a sr…sigh

Oh and just because its fun to say…Torque wins races…and…There is NO REPLACEMENT for displacement…psi for psi on the same mods the KA will top the SR for both hp and tq!!! lol

[quote=“Ingredients-240”]

Never thought i’d see the day when someone would say that, usually its like the very next post; KA won’t last you a week, lol…

Simple as this, SR is turbo from factory so the ecu is already designed for boost and takes more kindly to upgrades. The KA is not, so while the motor can handle the mods the ecu is not designed for it. So without adequate modifications to the ecu, or replacing it all together with standalone things go “boom”. Problem is people don’t budget for tunning or want to spend their money on other parts so they end up trying to run 15psi on a Z32 maf, safc, and a msd btm…while some have done it, most fail…then they blame the “weak truck motor” and try again changing nothing and fail again…now they buy a sr and rant on the boards for the next 5 years about how much the KA sucks and make comments like “Dont get a KA unless you want to be replacing engines every 2 weeks”…

Don’t get my wrong, i have nothing against the SR is an amazing motor that has proven itself time and time again…i do however have something against closed minded tools who bash the KA because they lacked the time, money, and know how to turbo a NA engine properly…

The SR and KA are very different, no one will argue that the sr is the easier choice especially for a young car guy getting into the scene with little to no know how with regards working on a car…and bashing on a guy for this would be stupid, hell from reading his first post i’d suggest he get a sr…sigh

Oh and just because its fun to say…Torque wins races…and…There is NO REPLACEMENT for displacement…psi for psi on the same mods the KA will top the SR for both hp and tq!!! lol[/quote]
Blah Blah Blah go home my friend. My posts were sarcastic. Im running 24PSI through my stock block KA and guess what its taking it like a champ. Breaking loose in 2nd gear due to to much power= Hella Fun. The Sr and KA were built in the same Nissan Era and are pretty similar in terms of build quality. SO here is my suggestion get lots of money and throw it at the KA or get less money and swap in an SR, or if you are poor or lazy just buy a Silvia or 180sx and save yourself the hassle. :rolleyes:

Or if your cursed and still need info about how to turbo the KA use this link:

DOHC KA Turbo For Dummies…
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6263

Suffice to say, tune it or have another motor in waiting…