Need advise on a KA24DE-T

I want to turbo a KA24DE

I have the engine sitting in my garage and i want to start collecting the parts needed to have a full turbo setup.

I have a t25 turbo from a SR20 i believe its good to 14psi but no i need to run oil and coolent lines to the turbo?

What do i do with the injectors, fuel pump and ECU?

Where to i find the nessesary parts needed to get everything done properly?

http://ka-t.org/

I can make custom manifolds for that turbo. Most aftermarket manifolds are made for on center turbos ans a regular turbo will need a custom spacer machined. If your interested they are $390 without external gate or $410 with a gate.

Im going to say it, mainly becuz Im in a sarcastic mood, so please forgive me…someone was going to say it sooner or later…

…SR20DET…spare yourself…

http://www.ka-t.org

http://www.turbo240.com

these 2 sites are prolly ur best bet for research. . .

imho, the t25 is too small a turbo for the ka, better off getting a t3/t4 turbo or gt32. . .
as for the fuel system, ams has a complete fuel kit available

what horsepower range you looking at? how much boost are you going to run? what’s your budget? what will your driving style be?

the ka is a great engine turboed when it is setup properly, but it does require a little more work because it wasn’t designed with a turbo in mind. It is a well built engine but if you just boost it without building up some internals or have it tuned improperly, u’ll fuck’r right up.

Ecu tuning i’d recommend a bikirom because this guy does his own daughterboard designed especially for the ka24de at an awesome price. . .

http://www.bikirom.com

good luck dude, keep us updated . . .

i would agree with caithness on this one
try your luck with modding and tweaking an sr or a ca
but that is just my opinion.good luck on whatever you choose i have yet to see a ka-t and would be very interested in watching it burn rubber :E

I think hes on a better track if he has a DOHC ka. Flavio had proved that the ka-t is a monster and a set up to be warry of . :smiley:

if you have the time and the experience.No doubt that a 2.4 dual overhead would be a good choice.But all i am saying,is practice with something else and then have fun experimenting.less risk of mangling shit when the time comes to do a ka-t

you to are both fools…a CA??? hahahaha if you dont like torque then thats a great way to go, have you had either engine??? i think the only ppl that should be replying in this thread are ppl that have had the chance to drive both engines…that being said i would turbo the ka wayyy before i would swap an sr into my, any engine can be made reliable with a good tune.

ahahahah,why the hell would i want a four cylinder?and just because i havnt owned one does not mean i havnt driven one,but no i havnt driven a ka-t before.so i guess in your mind i am not eligible to comment in this thread.
but at least I say some things that might be usefull,instead of any engine can be made reliable with a good tune.Of course it can.All i am saying is that you might want to mess around with something that doesnt have as much bullshit to go through,unless your experienced with that,or want to spend the time and money on tuning an engine that can be made reliable with a good tune.
I know this might sound arrogant and/or ignorant to you but take it in the best of ways :E

HAHAHHA.

I do not know of any engine that will last with a bad tune.

There have been about 10 threads like this in the past three months. It always happens in winter is guess.

Why the hell would you even say this?!
He said he wanted to turbo a KA, he didn’t ask anything about an SR.
And the SR isn’t the magic answer to everything in the world.

Yea i agree, i have an SR but it really isnt the asnwer to all. If you have the KA already then just go from there obviously. Just do further research on the KA-T forum and make sure you have a good tune, it really is such an important part. Id say talk to flavio if anyone on here, and other than that get on the KA specific forums.

I have a few friends that are running KA-T with mild tubro set ups.

one is running an SR turbo, other is running a volvo T3 junkyarder.

both are running SR injectors, running 370cc as opposed to KA 270cc i think.

both are tuning only with an SAFC to correct for injectors and mild fuel tuning, not much, just to make it run nicely.

both ran oil and coolant lines but i never inquired fully as to how they do this, it is pretty simple though

both of them are much much much faster than mild SR swaps.

KA24DE-T with an SR turbo with SR injectors and an SAFC is faster than a stock SR for sure. its not even close really. there is a guy in town with a 12-14psi SR that is losing to a 8psi KA with the same turbo.

KA-T’s are the new thing, i swear it. i have people e-mailing me all the time about what IC kit to use with KA-T… every one of my buddy’s is doing KA-T as opposed to SR and CA.

Why the hell would you even say this?!
He said he wanted to turbo a KA, he didn’t ask anything about an SR.
And the SR isn’t the magic answer to everything in the world.[/quote]

Why the hell would I even say this?

Because it’s an easier way! Anybody here who has ever seen or had anything to do with a KA-T setup will know for a fact that it isn’t a slice of cake, where-as an SR swap is getting easier and easier everyday for average joes working out of their garage to do.

I never mentioned a CA so easy on your band wagon jumping.

If this guy wants to go the KA-T route, by all means, go for it, but if he’s just looking to get some easy high HP increase, then the KA-T isn’t the way to go, not if you want your car to last.

KA-T= On Topic
SR20= Off Topic

All motors will blow up if they are tuned wrong,
tune an SR20 wrong and it will blow up too.

But a KA will cost $300 to replace and an SR will cost $2000 to replace.

So build the KA properly and tune it properly
the end.

My god…

…the total cost and time to turbo a KA is probably double then to simply throw in an SR.

…so if I throw in a cavalier motor and turbo it and tune it to 400HP…is that better becuz I can always get a stock cavalier motor for like 200 bucks?

…your logic is mind blowing.

EDIT:

His post reads “Need advice on a KA-T”…well my advice is avoid the KA-T hassle and do the SR

:? ok dude, whatever you say

and you have done this right??? NO YOU HAVENT

you can turbo a ka for less than 1500…you cant buy an sr for that…

and just becuase your a dumbass and will question me here is the breakdown of prices…

t25 sr turbo: 150
megan manifold: 300
sr injectors: 250 (at most)
q45 maf: 25 dollars from a junkyard
safc 300?
sr smic 150 (at most)
misc crap: 200

… :roll:

holy kid zone… :E happy new year kids…

Replacement engine(when u blow it up) of a ka will be alot cheaper than your sr etc… but if you are building a car with around 3-400 or maybe even more hp. Both engines will cost u lotsa money no matter what.

Pls give it up the ka vs sr already… :butthead: