Can someone please tell me what's wrong? (Video)

hey guys, this is regarding the break down of my engine, I have a video of it starting up for a while. I would really appreciate your comments on what could be wrong, so far I have checked my intake and vacuum lines and everything seems okay.

Please right click and save as: http://home.cogeco.ca/~dirdhou53/CarPics/rev.zip
I hope the video works, if not, you guys might need a codec. (File has been zipped to save space)

Here is a pic:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~dirdhou53/CarPics/anythingwrong1.JPG

http://home.cogeco.ca/~dirdhou53/CarPics/anythingwrong2.JPG

Thanks!

gameover

:shock:

Dude, that sounds and seems very weird…where is the terrible wooden roller-coaster sound coming from?? Could it be a timing chain? Other details?

Eeekad.

Was the clutch in our out?

Does the sound go away when you depress the clutch?

Your idle looks normal and rev’s fine, the sound sounds like its coming from the tranny…

It looks like you have to run it with the starter untill you give it gas, was it always like this?

Connecting rod bearing?

Broken valve?

Something is broken definitely.

Do a compression test to find out if it is a valve, remove oit pan to see the rods.

Good luck man, I hope you are not driving it like this.

Theo

or just buy me engine for $200 and be done with all your problems, we will even swap it if you want for a little more.

Ouch. Sounds like a rod bearing to me. I vote buy jesse’s motor. For
$200, you can’t go wrong - cause whatever that sound is will cost you
more in the long run. Just make sure you put oil in the new one :lol:

Why are you holding the key in the crank position even after the car had started? :dunno:

Because it would stall otherwise?

Yeah sounds like bottom end noise for sure.
I heard his car run a few weeks when i met up with him for some parts and it wasnt nearly as bad as that, there was just a faint clicking sound that would come and go, almost like a sticky valve.

that my friends sounds like my ka befor the number two rod decided to make its escape through the side of my block

i bet you dollars to doughnuts that if you went and took a good corner at 70 km/h in 2nd gear that you could let your conrods escape too.

GT

Free the rods!!

Support your local free the rods foundation.

dude get yourself another engine and pull that out. Sounds like rod bearings.
If you want a smoke show, just lend it to Greg for an afternoon and he’ll be sure to put on the show of a lifetime :lol:

Greg I still remember that, I was entering the double apex section and almost went off when I saw this huge cloud :lol:

Andrew.

Mark told me that that “wooden roller coaster noise” was his exhaust…
So if i understand correctly, the only issue is the start-up…
Could it be some sort of sensor??? And yah, you held the key in the start position way to long dude.
If you can’t figure it out, grab Jesse’s motor, I can help ya put it in.

engine is DONE. Theres so much bottom end friction now it doens’t even have enough power to keep itself idling hardly.

If it’s the exhaust making that noise, do more troubleshooting.

It’s sounds like a lot of things are going to need to be looked into, your engine bay looks fine except for a couple missing valve cover bolts. Probably check fuel pressure, intake system/TB/vacuum, MAF, grounds and all that exciting stuff! Is your oil or coolant showing any bad signs etc…

Hey guys… thanks for all the comments and advice. Just to clear some things up, yes, i had to hold on the starter and give it gas in order to let it start up like that, if not, it would have just died. as soon as i stopped giving my car gas it just died. I wasn’t able to start it up anymore. Anyways, should I just go and buy Jesse’s engine instead of trying to find out what’s wrong? Btw, how much would you guys charge to help install the new engine, I don’t know much but I want to help out though.
as for that “wooden roller coaster” sound, I think it might be the cat- heatshield? I really want to get this fixed asap though.

Thanks!

Maybe try shaking the exhaust system from underneath and listening.

Until internal engine damage becomes evident (or something else very serious), I wouldn’t change the engines. The best way of course would be a compression test.

These two things should help you decide whether or not to keep it.

Good luck.

Stupid sujestion but drain the gas , One of my buddy ran like that after some people put sugar in the gas tank . It would take for ever to start and died right after .
Just my sujestion .

DarkForceJackal, Shift_Krunk:

Have you guys even heard a motor with a funky rod bearing before? This is not the exhaust, a heat shield, or electronics. :lol:

Birdhou53:

Listen to the knowledgeable members (like Greg who has first hand experience) buy a new motor.