Canadian Tire Magic A/C Kit

Has anyone tried this kit on their 240? I wanna get the dye leak tester first, because my A/C light doesn’t turn on, prob meaning no refrigerant. After that, the sealer aerosol, then finally this kit. Honestly though it seems kinda fishy…

RED TEK A/C Refrigerant Recharge Kit

$49.99

Features

* A direct replacement and retrofit option for R134a and R12 refrigerants for automotive air conditioning systems
* Offers a freon replacement that runs cooler and more efficiently, without depleting ozone
* No license or retrofitting required for use
* Carries EcoSafe certification (non ozone depleting)
* Includes everything needed to properly charge air conditioning systems: two cans of 12a refrigerant, installation hose kit with colour coded gauge, air conditioning oil, low side service fitting and service decal

I used it on the Q45 i jsut bought. Worked fine and easy to do.

honestly A/C is much needed these days lol

so for the guys that still have a/c equipped cars, me for one,
I’d grab it & hope for it to work lol.

working at the parts counter at ct (yes im cool)
i sell it often

havent heard any complaints from customers yet

^ agreed, I also work parts counter and these sell a lot, haven’t had anyone come back in to tell me it was shit so you never know…

On the other hand I also work at a shop and I know if you don’t properly vacuum out the a/c system before recharging it won’t work properly. This system is taking shortcuts somewhere but if it works, great!

^ I triple agree! CT parts counter as well (though I would rather be in the shop, or at least doing back parts…)

Never heard a complaint about 'em yet. The first time we had 'em up on the shelves, they sold out within a couple of hours…

haha, this is gonna turn into a CT parts thread. I’m just getting moved to back parts on saturdays, I’m an apprentice at my other job so they want me back there because I know what parts are, etc.

blahblahblah “a/c kit” blah blah

you get caught refilling a leaking ac system id hate to be you. serious fines you will get.

I heard that to refill your AC the ‘proper’ way, you need to be license to rent the AC system vacuum machine, and all that other crap…

Also, whats with Canadian Tire selling all this ‘illegal’ stuff? Smoked, Blue, and Clear plate covers… Its illegal to conceal your plate behind another object… So we get ticketed for putting plates behind out windshield, but we don’t get ticketed for putting a hard-to-see-through piece of plastic over it?

CT kinda sells a whole bunch of BS stuff in the auto department…

What gets me is those LED scrolling messages plate holder they sell at CT… I mean WTF is that. I’m sure they aren’t a distraction and completely legal… yeah right.

if the light isnt turning on check your fuses first.
i sell this shit day in day out. its for a quick charge. using this stuff will 90% lead to a new compressor in the end.

The thing with all those plate holders is it says right on the packaging “check your local laws and regulations before using this product” or something. How many times have you seen a car show and the guy has a black car with a smoke plate cover? Its for off road use, but you can get away with using them on the street. The way I think of it, if I get pulled over for “suspected” street racing or w/e in a blitz, they find nothing wrong with my car they can still give me a ticket for that shit. Its an excuse to pull people over without a real reason.

I used red-tek, it lasted two weeks and then my compressor blew.

Oh well, You have to laugh then you smell pine scented coolant filling your cabin…

haha, that seems so unsafe Roast.

it is a propane based refrigerant and if you ever take the car to a shop to get your a/c system fixed after you put that shit in you will get a kick in the nuts cuz it fucks up a real a/c machine also i don’t believe that it contains oil so that is why your compressor blew roast

all in all i would never ever use this shit

Thanks for the response guys :P. And wow, those are some mixed reviews…makes me uncertain of what to do. I’ll probably end up wasting 50 bucks just to be told I have major leaks at an A/C shop…lol

Edit:
If I do get this system what exactly do I need to buy?

The 49.99 kit comes with 2 cans of refrigerant, and the gauge with the hose to pump it in. I would also purchase the ProSeal for 24.99 and the oil charge for 14.99, so that compressor failure doesn’t happen to me like it happened to roast lol pine scented refrigerant in the cabin…

thats why any real shop will have 2 ac machines and an identifier for cars that have been tagged correctly and a ac machine for sucking out other peoples stupid ideas like putting propane in there a/c, you put this stuff in your car your just asking for more problems, how do you know your ac stoped working because theres no oil in the compressor? or your condenser is fucked? money grab at its best

If you knew how much a real A/C machine cost you wouldn’t have said that also even with two and one just to suck out some other stupid asses propane based refrigerant once you suck that shit out it fucks the pump on the machine. it is shit and it shouldn’t be allowed to sell

I bought it last year for my pathfinder and it worked great. you have to use the oil test thing they give you in the kit to make sure you have enough oil in the system. Also I suggest using one of the dry air cans that they sell. It converts any moisture into lubricant. Moisture in A/C system is very bad because it will combine with the freon and turn into a corrosive acid, destroying your seals, condensor, compressor etc. The freon in these cans is safe for the environment and it’s not propane. Before you buy it though you should make sure your compressor works. You can do that buy turning on your a/c and seeing if the clutch on the front of the compressor engages and starts turning. If it doesn’t it could be that your system is so low on freon the automatic safety will not allow the clutch to engage(to prevent compressor burnout). You can still test your compressor though by running a jumper from your battery to the hot wire on the compressor. It will turn if it’s not seized.