Cannonball 4500 (yea yea laugh all ya want.)

now, im sure most of you will see this thread and think oh yea a knockoff Gumball 3000. well, you are EXACTLY correct. the gumball costs 30k US to enter + 10 k per person over and above the single driver for the car. Now, what i think would be absolutly awesome. would be somthing going from mile 0 in victoria to newfoundland approx 4500 miles as the crow flies. this would be the sort of gumball on a budget type of event. this is kind of a gauge interest kind of thing. discuss it bash me, whatever i want to do the gumball 3000 if it every comes back to north america. but i figure we could with enough people make this a super awesome road trip. more in the spirit of a hodrod cruise but there would be a prize for those who came in first on the legs best spirit of the rally etc etc

I’d do it but really it would be one hellish of a trip. why not just drive to ontario so you could visit the major tuning places down there?

awesome to vote guys, it would be nice to hear some tohught on this and this is also to gauge interest, as i may look at running a small one like maybe 10-20 cars type small one as early as next year if i can find the desire. it would be a shakedown type pre-event just to see if we can think of routes and the like. For cost i was figureing you gotta worry bout your own expenses, gas, tickets (if you get any) food while going from stop to stop. as an “entry” fee im really not sure what it should be i was figureing on stopping at campsites and the like instead of hotels as the weather we get in canada during summertime is awesome(if we go during the summer). as well as what timeframe would be best for this rally like days wise. was kinda hoping to keep it in the spirit of the gumball as in getting the 4500 miles done in less then 10 days type of thing thoughts on that? as to the “entry fee” would figure maybe figure out what campgrounds and trophys for participants would cost and make it that to cover expenses? the destination and distance is fully discusable cause i mean 3000 miels in 7 days is retarded. 4500 in same amount of time in slower cars would be even more so. help me out.

Why not start out small and do one within Alberta. Go from Grande Prarie to Lethbridge in one day or something.

The problem with gumball type events is the expense involved. You have to have hotels booked, food prepared, events planned, and so on. Personally, I wouldn’t bother with one that didn’t include everything in the entry fee. After all, if you have to pay for everything yourself, what’s the difference between that an an average road trip?

BTW, Still love the idea - I’d love to do gumball someday.

Ask Chromedragon about the success of his “Rocky Mountain Run” last year. :anal

whats the distance from here to lethbridge? i’d be down for trying a rocky mountain type run sometime cause i just wanna doa road trip with whole bunch o ppl. but yes i can fully understnad the logistics involved.

im trying to gauge interest before i actually start organizing. cause if there no interest then why bother right? but if you guys think doing somthing along the lines of a run to banff or maybe kicking horse sometime during the summer for thoe of you that ride mtn bikes we could do somthing like that. have a really out there have ourslevs a condo go riding. then rally back? but i wanna do a driving adventure. i;d go on a raod trip. but normally you need a van that you can do 3 - 4 people in very good comfort. now most of our cars 2 is about as many as you can fit while staying comfy.

Why don’t we just plan a road trip to Jasper or Banff or something with some stops (like a bbq or something) along the way?

its on…lets start planning Dave. We’ll call in the bc troops and pick up the Calgarians along the way. The lethbridge guys can meet the calgarians ect.

Aww I’m too lazy to plan though! I’d rather jsut tag along with the group :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow 14400 KM… You would have to do 3 oil changes and fill up like 28 times.

If you ask me that’s just too long of a trip. Most people would need to take several weeks off of work…and realistically that’s not going to happen.

No the Rocky Mountain Run didn’t go over so well last year. We ended up having many people bail in the last two days and of the 8 people that left Calgary only 4 cars made the long haul. Of the people that participated though, I have been asked if it was happening again this year because they had others that wanted to come along. I just might get another event going for August again since. It will be the same idea, 2 days, possibly 3 through the Rockies.

I won’t say anymore here though, don’t want to hijack the thread.

In theory it would be a lot of fun, but Canada is a somewhat boring country to drive across. If you’ve ever watched the Gumball videos you know what the people do when they get bored…and many of them end up in prison for it.

Haha soo true. The Mischief DVD’s are a good guide of what not to do on the road.

A run through the mountains would definintely be awesome though! I’m sure most people could go for a weekend trip.

sounds good, damien you wanna organize the trip to jasper or banff with me? the banff drive is nice about 4 hours or so.

I would definately do it!! Wheres that place again Kris that rents 350Z’s again?? I would rent and torture one of those!! Better buy extra insurance!!

dollar rental, and they dont offer optional insurance you have to go through your insurance company, so if you bag it and break something it comes out of your pocket.

dollar rental, and they dont offer optional insurance you have to go through your insurance company, so if you bag it and break something it comes out of your pocket.[/quote]

:roll: they kill all the fun

the solid reliability of the pathfinder will beat YOU ALL :E

i am like the turtle slow and consistant

hey if you watch the gumball 2003 a guy in an avalance won it.

i was doing a mapquest search. and there some pretty cool stuff in spokane washington. only probelm its an 11 and a half hour drive from edmonton. http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1a=&1c=Edmonton&1s=AB&1z=&2a=&2c=Spokane&2s=WA&2z=
thats the link to the mapquest directions. i think if i were to organize one it would be a shortish trip maybe 6-700 kms just for the sake of going for a drive. any suggestions? driving thru alberta is kinda boring going thru the rockies would be much more interesting. but going on a drive to somewhere in the rockies staying for a night having some drinks then coming home the next day would be wicked awesome.

drive to calgary meet up with calgary additions and drive benff to jasper road its nice by the glaciers there and than jasper to edmonton hahah good trip leave sat mornin back sunday night crash at banf for 1 night or jasper.

renting from dollar rental : 350z u need to be 25 also you have to have full cov on your existing car with SEF27 permission to drive non owned CARS :E

When would this trip be planned for? (In theory)

i’m driving to Toronto on July 19th :smiley: so I’ll be gone for a couple weeks.