Car alarms

Hey guys just wondering what type of car alarms people are rockin. I am looking to get a good car alarm and am wondering peoples experiences. I will also be getting an auto start/alarm combo for my 240

what are ur experience’s?

Im prefferably wondering peoples opinions on the digital alarm style, where when ur car is hit on a particular spot it shows u on the key pad, usually a distance of a 1000metres or something

I would say go with the Viper alarm system …i think they are about 599$ you can get the digital screen on your keychain and you can get sensors inside the car to tell you where it is hit…the more sensors you have the more the price goes up though. as for remote start i dont think you can even do that with a manual tranmission only automatic im pretty sure

Nope you can get starters for manual cars too but you have to buy the by passer too .vipers good and everything but im still tryna make the decision between Clifford And Viper.

Edit* The New Viper and Clifford Systems get you about 1 mile range so if you work it out way more then 1000 metres.

yeah one mile is 1609 metres…

i have compustar 2wfm-as and it has been great. car starter also and its quite cheap if you get it on ebay. 1500 or 3000 feet range not sure. has pretty much everything with lcd screen on the remote also

Carrol Shelby CS750R. I payed 400 at cost a year ago…never had a

single problem.

Its completly upgradable and comes with more accessory features than

there are wires to hook those accessorys up to on our cars. Grab it at

Car Decor Garage on Ridgeway near 403 and dundas timmies…their the

only ones i know who may be able to get it. Mine was a product sample

at the time. Tells me if they manage to start the car, poped the doors

trunk or hood or some one hit it lightly or hard. Id upgrade to an

aproximity sensor that will trigger a warning if some ones standing

around your car.

It has romote start and is made for manual cars…u can make it leave

your car running for a minute for turbo cool down. You have to push a

button on the romote with the car running and E brake up, take key out

and get out of the car…the car will still be running without the key…after

your out lock it and it will shut off or stay running for a minute…this way

the brain knows your in neutral…if u open the door again it wont remote

start.
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9458/shecs750rwr3.jpg

compustar… they are good viper also… check out www.auto-links.ca they do all my stuff

Clifford or Viper, it’s the same thing (owned by DEI, like just about everything car audio, built in the same plant even). I would go with something mainstream or very well known. There can be problems with them later on, so if you have something common it will be eaisier to get fixed.

I would also recommend going to a franchise store ( I normally would not), like Future shop or Best buy. That way if there is a problem you will not have the run around trying to find someone to fix it. Both shops have life time warranty on install.

I have the 2 way paging alarm (CLIFFORD-just for the carbon fiber remote) in my car now. The range should be good, but it sucks. I have to have the antena moved for better range. Only real complaint is the battery life, even with the vibrate and lights off, I only get 2-3 months out of it.

Also you should know that the 2-way alarms are easier to steal, they are not as secure.

CVM07

dont need no clutch bypass module since s13/s14 dont need to press down the clutch to start

Talk to Farmer - he has done a few autostart/alarms on my cars and all have been perfect.

Actually going to him for another one on my truck in the near future.

Can you please elborate on that?

I’m thinking of either getting Clifford or Viper 2way alarm, but it has to be using the FM frequency. So hard to choose which model and brand.

Because a 2-way is easier to scan and pick up. Basically if someone wants your car bad enough, it’s not that hard to take.

If someone that has all the high tech tools, it will be easier for them to
de-arm a 2-way alarm.

If somebody is THAT hardcore - your car is toast regardless of what is in it.

If somebody is THAT hardcore - your car is toast regardless of what is in it.[/quote]

Yup, thats pretty much my point.

when you say easier to scan and pickup, are you referring to the frequency the alarm module sends out? so that if a thief needed to find the brain of the alarm, they can find out by using a tool that scans for that particular frequency?

and just curious, but is clifford/viper a better brand than compustar? I heard that the compustar brain units are a bit larger than clifford/viper, making it harder to hide. I heard this somewhere, but wanted to ask if anyone knew.

thanks

The 2-way can be picked up easier because of the constant communication between the brain and the remote. A theif that has the tools to scan for this and pick it up those signals and default the alarm more readily then an alarm without this feature.

On the other hand, if someone has these tools and wants you car bad enough, they would just tow it.

Knowing where the brain is will stop an alarm from making nosie if removed, but the ignition and starter kills will still work. Making the car tuff to steal.

I don’t personally know the compu-star alarms that well, but that does not mean much. They are a large company, personally I would still go with something else. Simply because of the support of other products that will be available.

My person feeling about an alarm is that they are only good to stop stupid people from tampering with your ride. Smashing the glass to take your stereo, shifter, wheel, Ipod, Or what ever. If someone whats your whole car, trust me, it’s GONE!!! So getting to technical over what alarm is better or safer at this point really does not matter. The main reason I feel people install an alarm is for convience and to eleminate retards from tampering with your ride.

Good luck, hope some of this helps.

CVM07

i just install the new clifford in my buddy civic a few weeks back…the one mile range…well…only in u live in a farm…like most people mention anything from dei is wicked…viper/clifford…i have the older viper alarm in my dads car…the new one mile its only about twice the distance as the others…

I have a 2-way viper on my 240 and a 2-way compustar on my accord. Both work very well, the compustars range is WAY better and the battery life in the remote last much longer than the viper.

The compustar has buttons mounted accross the top of remote which makes them more prone to accidentally pushing them in your pocket where the viper doesnt have that problem.

Overall Im happy with both units, if I had to choose I would say go compustar.

I totally agree with CVM07, alarms are mostly for knowing if someone is tampering with your car or trying to steal your stereo.

In the end, if someone wants your car bad enough, they will get it. The best thing would be that thing that tracks your car if it gets stolen. I forgot what it’s called.

Or this:

I have a Viper 791xv (2-way)

I’m not to crazy about it but it get’s the job done. I had some problems with the LCD remote which I had to replace out of warranty…big piss off.

Looking back I would have rather purchased the Compustar…But, on the plus side you can usually find the Vipers sold well below retail on ebay or at trade shows.