Car culture blows my mind.

:rofl

Moonshiners did , at least from what I understand .nodding cars to outrun popo and then shine runners started racing etc .

Then somewhere along the road they decided 90% of the time they should only turn left.

Prohibition started Nascar. Modding cars goes back way further than that.

HES GOING LEFT

Not true.

I 100% agree with everything you said, that was my ENTIRE point to my rant.

Its like they do a decent job to start, Assuming the motor swap was done first. and ran out of money an/or motivation and slapped the rest together, then used the “well its still cool” cop-out when its done. Atleast with that green car its not deformed byond repair. finding a new front clip, sawzalling the fart tip off and shooting it in proper paint that would be an awesome car.

That miata I loved too, BUT they fucking killed it with the dumbass seats. Removing the padding and foam, leaving a half ass probably good/expensive seat behind to be “hardcore racer”. Cheaped out again. Find the old school actual back breaker racing seats and put them in it. THATS respectable, yet still impractical because I doubt that will ever see track use. Paint the fucking hood and get rid of the retarded tow hook also. Rest of the concept was tits, love the old brit feel like you said too. But all it takes is one or two left field WTF’s straying off the concept to kill it.

You cant pin point when modding cars started. Model A/T’s were among the first main stream cars though, cant deny that. And when everything was still black and white, they were modded for speed and function. Fitting in was the last thing on their minds. Surviving tough times, doing what they needed to do, and establishing a country were their goals. Talk to your grandparents.

Then as technology grew, factory cars got better and the modding kept going, but the goals were the same. Craftsmen formed sheetmetal and laid paint to make their cars NOT look like the same model rolling up next to them. They were made unique and different. Mechanics made the cars faster, handle better and hot rods were born. Having a COOL car in school ment alot to just about everyone, not just car guys. Very little copy catting went on. It was a one up game. This guy put a muffler on to sound better, his next buddy put headers and a muffler on. Progression was fast paced. Talk to your parents.

Technology peaked, things can be prototyped on a computer and tested without even needing to cut material. CNC machines, factories, and everything else made all those mods accessible to anyone around the world that wanted it. Crap quality and knocking off good products for shit look alikes plummeted prices, put good places out of business, and spurred the copy cat bullshit you see now. You can take 2 identical stock cars, put 10$K into one, and put the same parts on the second for $2K in knockoffs and half ass quality work. Both will look the same from 15 feet away, but when you look close you will see the vast differences. Talk to our generation.

Speaking of Cressidas on Speedhunters. This Cressida has a more understated exhaust.

http://cdn.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMG_8983.jpg

And look at that shift knob

http://cdn.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMG_8910.jpg

I am digging the original radio, AND the aftermarket cob job installed one bellow it. IF they gave a shit, like I said all along, remove the original and the aftermarket would fit on that aluminum plate and not hang over the trim line by 1/2" on either side like it does now.

should change the name of the site to ricehunters.com

As they say Different strokes for Different folks!
Although personally, I can’t stand it when I see some POS with a Fart Can muffler on it and maybe a CF hood (or fake one), while the structural rust goes untouched!

what if they strip the paint, throw some salt water and shit on it, let it sit outside for a few weeks to rust it and toss it back on the car.

I guess my point was…Too many times you see some kid with his priorities messed up. Driving some rusted out POS with custom wheels, ehaust, etc. Instead of fixing the structural (and possible safety issues), they throw $$$ at “customizing it”
And this isn’t a particularly a new phenomenom…People have been throwing $$$ in the wrong direction on their cars for generations.

/\ cant fix stupid i guess.

want another example of throwing $$$ in the wrong direction… you should be a fly on the wall here at NYS this morning. When Microsoft says the minimum requirement for my server is 16gb, and my agency buys servers with only 4gb, tells me to put a customer on it and when it fails thats the leg they can stand on to buy more memory… I laugh in the directors face and tell them “dont call me when its not working then.”

Speaking of screwed up priorities in my year working in the HVCC auto shop I saw a couple. Best one I got ever was a 90’s Integra, had damage from what looks like half a dozen accidents, body covered with poorly done unpainted, unsanded bondo, panels all different colors. There was nothing left to the clutch, the radiator was held in with 1 ziptie and wasnt even the right radiator for that car, half the stuff under the hood was either broken or held in with zipties AND the crowning acheivement were the rusty blown out rear brakelines that someone tried to fix with JB weld and duct tape but they still leaked.

But he didnt care about any of that, he wanted us to move his tires, which were bald with cords showing onto the new dope wheels he just bought at Pep Boys and figure out why it was overheating (Maybe because it had no coolant in it at all would be the reason).

I’ll see if I can find a picture on my phone, I dont think I’ll ever see a car that bad again as long as I live.

how about the recent failure at HVCC with the kid that said his Lancer ES was a 400WHP evo, with the turbo removed, rear diff removed to make it FWD and better in the snow, brembo brakes AKA stock everyday shit ass brakes with ebay slotted rotors, carbonfiber hood and trunk which was poorly wrapped carbonfivber look vinyl, and the host of other shit… while asking 25K on cl for it as an EvoX

IRL???

Would love to see the Craigslist ad. He deserved a trolling.

original ad was removed but the joke/truth one is still up

http://watertown.craigslist.org/cto/3329223989.html

x2

id drive the fuck out of that green car. those wheels are TITS.

I gave a lot of credit to that kid with the Black Cobolt SS that was stances out and whatnot. He didn’t give a fuck what anyone said about it. He thought it was cool and that’s all that mattered to him