STYLE

This seems to be QUITE the controversial issue recently on SON.

I LOVE a good debate… so I’d really be interested in hearing some other opinions on it. Obviously myself, and the people I generally associate with (union kids), all have fairly similar taste in what we do, and how we do it. Obviously its not for everyone… but I’m always baffled by ignorant people that can’t grasp the concept of different styles.

Here is a comment I got left on my blog:

"This is a car culture which from a performance stand point is idiotic. However as a “look at me I’m an attention whore” makes sense.

It seems to befit the still immature younger crowd as well as show drifters who like to stand out (nothing about improving their drifting performance).

So many things are actually wrong with slamming a car, stretching tires, putting on stupid show parts on the car just to stand out… however it’s a car culture for some people and there’s no way to beat around it, into or out of people’s heads.

Pretty much anyone can do the following:

-coilovers to lower > check
-wide knock off wheels > check
-shitty tires to stretch > check
-spray bomb a car and put zipties > check
-Put stickers with silly statements here and there > check
-a loud and/or simply BIG looking exhaust > check
-a bodykit to look more aggressive if you can afford it > check

Just put your hat sideways and make yourself look serious and suddenly you have become so hardcore."

SO…

What is your concept of STYLE.

Is it a cleanly executed car? is it some tastefully modified and extensively prepared?

Or is it something with SOUL, personality, and perhaps a little rough around the edges.

Is it a generational rift? Does this ONLY apply to the younger crowd?

What is STYLE to you?

p.s. its fucking 2010… who the fuck wears their hat sideways. Obviously the “anonymous” poster from the excerpt above is 30+

Amazing.

I am going to assume this is making reference to the “spotted” thread “debate”. I appreciate function as much as a next person, however; i also appreciate it when the “function” styling is a product of weekend track warriors on a budget (ahmed’s car i guess). Not everyone is fit to drive a gt car with insane aero, racing suspension and fat ass wheels, nor can everyone afford to.

That aside, i love the insanity that crawls on our roads too. Seeing a chassis rub the ground with a chalkboard or flat black paintjob with wheels coming out like mario kart appeals to me as much as seeing a well dressed, $10k paint job with oem parts.

There’s tons of shit i think is ugly, but no point saying any of that since there will be tons of other people to dispute it.

I dont see this to be a possible debate, it’ll probably end in a shitfest.

STYLE is Personal preference.

Clean JDM Style. Osaka taste, Kanto refinement, Fukui build philosophy. I do like the boro style, I can appreciate it, but at the same time I can see why some think it is tasteless.

I like a car that has tons of personality, whether is stock shit with fresh paint or beat to shit dented, smashed up multi-colored POS, mainly because you get to see a the owners personality and their tastes. Just because you dont like the same shit as the next person, no need to ridicule or try to force your opinion.
As the saying goes different strokes for different folks, basically YOUR SHIT, YOUR MONEY, DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT!!! If you think its stylish more power to you.

Well said my man.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

The is the most educated, pretentious response I could have imagined.

the more dents and holes in my car the better it looks…

do what you want.

however, being fast is always cool.

Another important point is that cars are never finished, they should keep getting better until they explode or get sold.

Eh style is something debatable and personal… you will not convince others to like what you like and vice versa most of the time.

To me the hellaflush/slamming/whatever ‘car culture’ is not appealing at all and more or less agree with the statements in that post. But to each their own… the list of to do things pretty much sums up zilvia or whatever… anyone can do that list to ‘get the look’, but it’s pretty stupid then to think you’re so awesome as a result of it if you really analyze what’s been done.

I don’t go around telling people my car is ‘hardcore’ because its banged up, my car is function over form as I only care about performance for now until I can afford the proper body work that I want. However it seems its ‘style’ to have a banged up looking car by spray painting, ziptying etc…

I like a lower car, who doesn’t, but if it fucks up suspension geometry, the overall driving experience, don’t do it… unless you do it right (modded LCAs, spindles, blabla). Also stretching tires… counter productive… but its ‘style’… my tires are square/lightly stretched 255s on 9.5"s but I always shoot for a square setup… from a performance perspective. There’s a reason that a wide wheel is wide… so a wide tire can fit! Otherwise wasted space, wasted weight, etc…

Plus the stickers and slogans as mentioned its true… how about the domo or whatever toy hanging from a tow hook… that was popularized on zilvia for a while too everyone had to have one, automatically you were considered drift material lol… soo all these lil silly fads are just that to me personally… silly…

To me a good looking car is a blend of stealthy and aggressive… good paint job (say single stage polished pure black or pure red), panels/body parts properly tightly fitted… nice and low but with suspension done the right way. It takes money so obviously it takes time too to get done…

I mean think about it… I remember back in high school all the guys sporting civics, tegs, accords, seriously… they would lower their cars, install body kits, put on exhausts, put silly ebay parts (lol who does that now? no body)… and they thought they were hot… and older people made fun of them ridiculed them called them ricers… and used to tell them “if your style is so awesome why doesn’t ferrari or porsche go this direction” its not even art its just massacre of a car.

Although there is some greater attempt in aesthetics and artistry if you wana call it that with ‘hellaflush’ car culture, its pretty much the same deal to me as those guys i remember back in high school who did what they did with their cars.

That’s my 2 cents on this issue.

It’s like hellaflush guys would rather rock something like this (okay exagerated but wouldn’t be surprised):

Do notice the gigantic zipties sticking out:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/ayuaddict/6e91e5da.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/ayuaddict/d3452730.jpg

This is a perfect example of some of the stuff I said:

http://assets.speedhunters.com/Images/Paddy%20McGrath/2010/Feature%20Cars/June%20Spotlights/IMG_3338.jpg

http://assets.speedhunters.com/Images/Paddy%20McGrath/2010/Feature%20Cars/June%20Spotlights/IMG_3347.jpg

And I would rather rock something along the lines of this except not stretched tires:

http://noriyaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/nob_180sx_001.jpg

And if doing a flat paintjob at least do it semi right:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/Ajfina/CIMG0394-1.jpg

And this is what I consider a proper paint job that I would want done to my car. I love black with no sparkles, no flakes, no metallic, no pearl:

http://247media.smugmug.com/photos/320187016_8EwR7-M.jpg

And this is what I consider hardcore:

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/2010%20Brooks%202/2010%20Le%20Mans%2024%2003/01.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q113/seriously240/is_00733.jpg

Style is obviously very different among people, as a designer I have spend the past 4 years of my life in school learning about this shit. True that everything is a fad, drift toys, window stickers, slammed ish and big rims. In the end who really cares. cars are away to express ourselves and i always find it interesting to see what people end up with at the end because it represents them.

Personally i like cars that evolve, have history and i guess a “soul”. A prime example is Brad Carltons drift car which has been with him for the past 4 ish years. sure its been crashed beaten and rebuilt, but it all ads character. The reason i like cars like the union cars because they are have their own uniueness and style. from what i can gather there isnt a “parts check list to go down to be cool”

No offence but, this is a prime example “must be cool JDM fanboy” google search.

just my .02

But the thing you ignorantly don’t seem to understand is… there are other facets of a car, rather than just GRIP driving.

Lets put it straight… Union cars (which obviously you are making references to)… are 99% DRIFT cars. The flat black is to cover mismatched body panels, and dents and dings that were occured DRIFTING. Its not a fashion thing entirely. Its a legitimate attempt at making a car look good, while still being able to drive the hell out of it. I would LOVE a real paintjob… but its not on my list of priorities at this point.

Also… ask Scott Murfin about drift cars. Suspension geometry CAN be fucked up, they CAN be too low to have proper roll center/suspension geometry… while still doing their job properly. Stretched tires help induce oversteer on underpowered cars. Less sidewall flex, makes for a much faster transition between grip/slide. It is FUNCTION, as well as aesthetics.

That being said… Scott will be the first person to denounce me as a purely functional car modifier. Style is a LARGE part of what I attempt to create with my car, sometimes at the expense of function… and if that philosophy isn’t shared with all… then that is fine with me.

I guess I fall under the bad side of things considering all I’m doing is installing coilovers/bushings/rucas, and throwing on some trashy old ass wheels with stretched tires and banging up the fenders… but hey, I use to drive an srt4… what does it matter! I’m just another bandwagoner.

Yeah I guess so?

If you don’t have haters, your doing something wrong!

Your style is a reflection of personal self in a way. Just as you pick your wardrobe, you choose how to style your car. If you’re specifically going a certain way with your car just to satisfy the “crowd”, you’re doing it for all the wrong reasons. Do what you want with you car because no matter what, you’ll have your lovers and haters.

Jordie is right in saying styles are fads. What looks good to the majority of people now may not be viewed in the same light ten years from now. However, The best you can do is be true to yourself, because its the only person you should feel you need to satisfy and obtain approval from.

Sidenote: My personal style, really depends on the car. S13 - I love the beat up slammed, ziptied, overfenders, big wheels. etc. Just about any fad, overplayed mod. I don’t give a ****. S14 - I love em nice and clean. mmmmm.

Style:

Not stylish:

hahahaha truth.

it gives the car personality

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OWxHGtNsXuI/SsqFP2CMDYI/AAAAAAAAAXE/pap6GUBefpw/s1600/HEN_7322.jpg

shit like this makes my fizzing root penis feel nice.

^carbage fetish turning you on

haha sorry I had to…

lol deliberately use zipties to hold a bumper on as opposed to bolts :slight_smile:

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

how long can YOU go?

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/stripped-infiniti-0909.jpg

Yup.