Car/Garage Updates

Good ?, I always wondered this myself…

I’m pretty sure water will get to the floor, but it’s a 1979 floor that has had snow, ice, etc, directly on it for it’s whole life. I can’t image this will be worse by keeping some of the stuff off of it. The tiles aren’t flat on the bottom so there is room for ventilation. Like I said, we’ll see how it goes fingers crossed

Fair enough…I wanted to to go the race tile way, but the problem is I got a lift and contours in my floor near the doors, so I think I’d have fitment issues…so I just went commercial epoxy…

Great job!

Will the water in the winter hurt the floor?

These tiles could ONLY protect the floor. The tiles likely do not attract moisture (Molded plastic = Closed Cell) and any moisture that does get under the tiles will be absorbed into the concrete underneath. That already happens.

If you are the type of person to jam your car into the garage with 3 feet of snow on it and don’t shovel it out then you probably won’t even take the time to install a nice floor. But even if you did pile snow on top of the floor I doubt it will do any harm.

EDIT: As Joe mentioned…having a level floor helps. Joe, you could have patched it level.

Joe: Seems logical.:tup:

If the condition of the floor was good enough, I would have gone the epoxy route, but it would have had to be resurfaced which would have been really expensive!

If I had a lift, I probably would have gone epoxy, at least around the lift area!

Luke: right on

No way dude, there is like a 3-6 inch curve upwards near the doors…and the are 4 of them…plus the life issue…believe me, I thought about it a lot, haha…

Nice remodel, looks like a good place to hang out!

X…

…another thought; if you wanted to put a lift in you could always break out “pads” and re-pour the footings for a lift. I’m pretty sure you could bust out a 3’x3’ section for each post, re-bar, pour 3-5" thick…3/5(?)kpsi, cure, anchor, then tile around the lift towers.

Fair enough.

Wow nice garage :tup:

Awesome job.

I’ll be bumping this in the spring to see how that floor holds up to the winter slop because it would be a perfect upgrade over my worn concrete.

Thanks! Yeah I figure a lot of people were probably on the fence about it, so it will be helpful to report back on my experience with it. My concrete was in rough shape, but overall had a flat surface and because this is classified as a “floating floor” it was a good option!

Nice dude. I’m not shocked this it is this clean, you’re a stickler.

Thx Howie…and yeah I am even after all these years :slight_smile: