Car getting covered in oily/greasy substance

I went out to my car today after work and noticed there was some gunk on my windshield so I hit the washers which just smeared everything around. I decided to go through a quick touch free car wash and pass the wipers a few times during to get them a bit clean. I came out of the wash and everything was clean. I finished my trip home, which is about ten minutes to find my car windshield, windows, roof, and parts of the interior (I had the windows down for part of the trip) covered in an oily/greasy substance.

I checked the engine bay and everything in there is dry as a bone. I had my gf hit the gas while I watched the engine and nothing came out. I had her hold it at 2k RPM’s and still nothing. Coolant level is good, oil was a bit low but it was my normal time to add oil PLUS there was no oil around the engine bay. The spray pattern of the substance follows a similar spray pattern to the washer fluid. I did not spray the washer fluid after the car wash.

The only issue that I know of that is outstanding with the car is the front driver’s side cv boot is torn. I know they tend to throw grease but could it be that much to cover the car and come up along the firewall to the windshield?

I don’t even know where to start. My fear is DSG transmission fluid so I’m hoping that somebody will say that’s not possible. There’s no way that I know of to check that fluid level since it’s sealed.

I checked the brake fluid this morning after everything cooled down and all is well there. The fluid is only hitting from the firewall to the rear. There’s nothing from the intake forward. The underside of the hood is covered from behind the intake to the windshield. But there’s no fluid on the intake. The firewall cover on the engine side is soaked in the fluid.

Only other thing of note, I don’t leave pools of fluid when parked so I’m theorizing that whatever it is comes out when the engine is experiencing moderate to heavy throttle. I know I don’t post here very often but this is stumping me.

Fuck off don’t edit my shit… Chris sorry if i offended your bro but i highly doubt it. Call me if you wanna swing by and ill take a look at it…

most likely the cv boot…it can sling all over…look at the boot and all around it…prob not hitting the front of car because its most likley on the back of trans

I didn’t see your original post but I doubt I’d be offended. I’m not the sensitive type. I was actually hoping you’d see this since you’re on the very short list of people that have worked on my car. PM sent.

This is what I’m hoping. I figure it’s either this or brake fluid from somewhere.

Did you park next to anyone doing any cooking or BBQ? I did once and had a greasy as frig windsheild. Maybe a restaurant?

Nope. Found it after work one day, went through the car wash, then it was all over the car again when I got home. Can’t be a prank or driving behind something.

Did u smell it? What color is it

you dont have an open breather on your valve cover or some sort of open filter catch can do you?

Spray it with water and see if it beads up like a oil , I don’t see cv grease doing this . If its brake fluid u may wanna kiss your paint job goodbye .

What kind of car is this?

is it evenly coating the car? or is it more like beads of syrup?

That’s friggin dicked.

It looks brown/black. Doesn’t have a distinct smell. I know it’s not coolant.

I do have a catch can to get rid of my PCV but it is a closed system. No vent to atmosphere anything on this car.

Water does bead up on it. How quickly do you think brake fluid would eat through the paint?

Whoops…of course…2007 VW GTI.

Evenly coating the car from the base of the windshield back. It’s not really getting on the doors, but it is getting on the door windows.

If water is beading up on it, its not brake fluid. It’s gotta be the torn CV boot making a mess of things.

Wash the car with purple power or a degreaser soap like dish soap so it’s all clean . Drive it for a day and see if it comes back . Most car washes the soap is so weak it can’t take anything g off . Your gonna have to rewax car as the soap I told u about will strip it off

How’s your A/C?

A/C is good.

It’s def tire shine.

Whens the last time this car was inspected?

I’m not THAT stupid.

Inspection will also need to be done Friday as it is up this month. But it’s frequently being worked on or on a lift in a shop. What are you thinking?