Car Insurance Question Dealing With Vettes

So, my friend is looking into buying a c5 corvette. Preferably a 1997-2000 due to them being cheaper. 6 spd, ls1, t-tops w/e. Basic c5 vette. He’s most likely going under his fathers name for insurance.

If he was going on his own policy, full coverage, he would be looking at what? $4,000 or so? He would only have to pay for 6 months, because the rest of the time it would be garaged with liability or w/e.

How much (estimate) do you think he is going to pay under his father, with his father being the primary driver, and him being the secondary driver? Would it be significantly cheaper? Like only $1000 a year or something?

Like yelocity, your a young dude with a vette. About how much a year do you pay? If you don’t mind me asking :frowning:

BTW hes 19. Clean driving record, and his dad is 47 clean driving record, and already has a corvette insured.

The car has to be in his dads name for him to be registered as a primary. I imagine for a nice c5 insurance would be 3-5K for 6 mths. I bet it would be about 600 bucks under his dad. You can do esimates on geicos website to get an idea.

I’m 23 and drive a '98 Vette and its all registered and insured under my name. I have nowhere near a clean record (A bad accident and a speeding ticket etc.). I pay $700 a YEAR, I keep it on the road all year long too.

EDIT: It’s full coverage through All State.

yeah. his dad already said he would be registering it and co-signing for it. He would also be willing to put him under his insurance, and be registered with my friend as the secondary driver.

:bsflag: No way you pay $700 a year full coverage in your name.

show us the bill

^^^ i agree, esp. not with a speeding ticket and bad accident, maybe 700 every 6 months for basic liability

$700 yr w/ $10k deductible :mamoru:

:bsflag:No ya don’t. I’m 23 and have a clean record and my Uncles own the auto insurance agency I go through so I know I’m not gettnig screwed. I pay 1400/year for full coverage on my Jetta. If you really are paying 700/year for liaibility, theft, and collision and are 23 with a vette, you might want to check the details of your coverage. As previously mentioned, you may have a huge deductable and dangerously low laibility coverage.

Beckington, if you really want to know what the amount would be, just have your friend call his insurance agent with a VIN. They can tell you.

Keep in mind that if he has a loan on the car, no taking insurance off for the winter. The bank requires full insurance for the term of the loan.

Dont have a scanner and this is the best pic i can get with my camera since im at work. If you can’t read it, the premium on the Honda Civic is $366.30 and the premium on the Corvette is $381.80.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/AC141/615a9cbf.jpg

Not true, AKA Ferrari on this board has a loan on his Daily driver that he took off the road this summer with no problems. As long as there is fire and theft on it and it’s stored, there is no problem. If you were to drive it then (unregistered) they can deny your claim. This might be different from one ins. company to the next, but I know he does it, and know of several others that have done it.

X…

Oh and I have a $250 deductible

yeah, my dad takes his one huge company truck off the road in the summer, and stores it. aslong as he has fire, theft and liability on it its good to be stored

Insurance while in storage is a pretty good idea, ask me how I know…

Why jeremy, why is insurance while in storage such a good idea?

i took mine off the road last winter and didn’t insure it…
oops…

you dont need to, unless you’re still paying it off.

how do you know?

i know how you know, so you dont really need to let me know that you know, because as stated… i know that you know, and now you know that i know that you know.

how are the ls1’s after about 50k miles?

what about 80k miles?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/jwashburn78/fire10001.jpg