Car runs better on regular gas?

I had this hesitation problem intermittently for a while, and i switched to regular gas cause im not filthy rich, and it seems to have disappeared!

Coincidence?

realy, b/c mine seems to run alot better on 91 plus it says right in the manual to run 91 maby 89 but only for a little bit till u can get 91 in it. but i gess whatever works works :smiley:

The manual does say 91 but its not what you think, the japanesse octain rating system is not the same, 91=89

My friend that is not really the case.
it does not equal a lower number.
also it is an american manual so it would be to american specs.

I just don’t think the KA’s really need to run high octain. They are not a high compression motor. So what really is the use. I amways rand 87 and I never noticed a lick of a difference

I run 91 in my car and actualy do notice a diffrence it runs smoother in my opinion.

Oh ok, srry, thats just what i was told and it made sence because it didnt seem right htat it would recomend 91.

But its what i run anyways, runs better.

Only 94, 91 if I have to.

The higher octane will make your car run cleaner anyways, but if you are driving a stock car, 89 should be fine.

Bastard!!! where do you get 94 octane??

Canada measures their octane differently than Japan does

Japan uses RON, Canada uses an average of RON + MON (aka PON).

Basically:
RON— MON— PON
90----- 83------ 86.6
92----- 85------ 88.5
95----- 87------ 91
96----- 88------ 92
98----- 90------ 94
100— 91.5---- 95.8
105— 95------ 100
110— 99------ 104.5

Soooo Japans 100 Octane in Canada would be 95.8

So Sean’s statement of Japanese 91 being Canadian 89 isn’t too far from being correct. 91 Octane in Japan would be like… 87, which is the lowest grade at pumps in Canada.

Unless Sean was trying to say something different, then ignore this.

Bastard!!! where do you get 94 octane??[/quote]

Sunoco stations

Bastard!!! where do you get 94 octane??[/quote]

Sunoco stations[/quote]

Yup. Sunoco.

Ya what I ment was not the conversion just that in the american 240’s they would have the north american rating because that manual would have been ( i would assume ) more specific for north america.

I can see how Sean would have come to that conclusion tho, it does make sence to the brain.

Its all good tho, man I would be ahpopy if I could run 87 octain with how much fuel is costing these days.

I think the manual states which octane rating they are using so someone bite the bullet and go check.

And for the last time a higher octane will not benefit an engine in any way that is currently running a lower octane without detonation problems.

The only thing octane specifies is detonation resistance, not ‘cleanness’ or anything of that sort. Although the gas industry’s marketing people clearly don’t want you to think that.

Thank you. Some of the Gas companys are putting a littlen detergent in there higher octain fules but that is about it, not really worth it.

Low compression low octain. SAVE YOUR MONEY

I use 87, sometimes 89. But not now, it’s too crazy. I just stick with 87.

Anyways im not too sure what kind of mileage is consider good for 240’s. I put in 20L of gas on saturday and the needle was just under the half-full mark (or half-empty mark whichever way you want to look at it). It took around 320 kms on the trip meter until it reached the empty mark. Almost all of that 320kms was highway.

Would running a SR at 1 bar on 91 be bad? Like really bad?
This is on a T3/T4 turbo…

Too broke for gas :slight_smile:

Sorry guys… was going to run 1.3 bar with sunoco 94 but being cheap now…

I ran my 300ZX pusing 14PSI all season long on 91 octane.

No problems at all.