Car Shows - Answer some questions for me guys

If you want to run a good show, have some standards for the cars you allow in. I would definitely pay to see some nicer cars, rare cars, not some ricer mobile with streetglow and a system. I dont mind showing my car, but I get discouraged sometimes by the fact that I have to pay to put my car in a show when the only gain I would get out of it is maybe a dumb trophy. Trophies and plaques are worthless. If we could get a nyspeed section at world of wheels that might be something I would spark some new interest.

Theres not enough to do and thats why shit happens? Are these people 10 years old? They cannot behave themselves and socialize? Drifting is fucking retarded, we saw this at the one ricefest they had at the beginning of last summer. A bunch of people trying, TRYING to get their cars sideways in the crappy circle at lancaster while they tied up the dragstrip for a good hour or so. Waste of time. Respect other’s taste in cars? I guess you are reffering to the “show scene” or whatever its called, and by that you mean the baby blue neon and the pink cavy and their whole “crew”. I hold no respect ffor them nor does 90% of this board. When i go to a car show i want to see clean, fast, well put together Imports, Domestics and Classics, not a Nissan sentra with underglows. I want to see normal people there that share interest in the hobby, not every ghetto and white trash piece of shit in the world.

The indoor shows blow. Same cars for the last 7-10 years. I usually go just cause it’s march, i wanna get out of the house and nothing else to do.
there needs to be more variety not the same old show/trailer queens. There should also be more things to do at a show maybe swap meets, car coral etc…

I try to get out to a few shows every year, but they do tend to get a little boring. That’s why I always park way waaaaaaay in the back, and I sneak out after an hour or so.

Holding your show at a dragstrip is a huge plus! When the show gets a little boring, you can turn and watch the track action. ALways try to have a vendor row, and a swap meet at a show, that usually draws in a decent sized crowd.

I have to LOL at the person who said they don’t know when the shows are. rodandpiston.com lists EVERYTHING in the area and then some. I try to check it late in the week during the summer to see what is happening for the weekend.

Arranging a cruise after the show would help out a ton too! It doesn’t have to be anything real organized either. Most people enjoy cruising their cars more than sitting in a lawn chair behind them. Think of something like this…print out a small map and make 300-400 copies-we can use your show as an example. Have the show entrants leave fishermans park, head over by the summit park mall, make a right onto NFB, and then take it all the way down to sheridan. Make a right on sheridan and head down to Andersons. You’d probably get 30-40 packs of 4 or 5 cars (they would get split up a bit, lol) but it would still be a cool time. Don’t even tell Anderson’s, lol, i’m sure they’d love the revenue. You’d probably get a bunch of cars to do the whole cruise too.

In the beggining of summer I didnt mind taking my car to a few shows/cruise-nights and check out the other cars and snap some pics but after just a few I didnt think it was worth the hassle of cleaning up the car and then parking and leaving especially when I would get bored quickly and only stay for an hour tops.
After a while I would just take the dd check out the cars and maybe 2 or 3 would catch my eye that interested me or I havent seen at a previous show and maybe I would take a handful of photos and then I would be outta their in 30 mins.
I hate to say it but s/r cruise night was the only time I would stay for more than an hour. Sluts/jailbait, drag races, idiots, riced out piles to laugh at, some quality cars was somewhat entertaining.

I say drive the cars not park them and sit all day.

I agree. I did the world of wheels in 2005 I think? I was basically told it was amazing, and you needed to be “accepted” to get your car in it, by the people that run it. It was very dissappointing.

Local car shows just dont do it for me anymore, all older people who just wana sit by there cars and yell at people when they get to close. Then sit there and bitch when they dont get an award! id rather have meets and cruises to places, poker runs anything but parking. I wont even bother bringing my car to a show anymore, i wana see whats there and leave. I say we put together more get togethers with driving involved. Maybe even a run to like lake placid and back. I wana drive all my cars, not bust my ass cleaning them so people can pick them apart at a show.

Sunday Niagara is about the only show I’d attend,being that if your car is old enough you can race.

Back in the day I used to go to a TON of shows (~10 years ago).The bigger shows with the most shit to do were always the best…flea market,good food,door prizes,raffles…etc

Good replies guys. Keep 'em coming.

Hi Butch :slight_smile:

only gripe i have is people winning awards because they all vote for their friends. and joe, i know it happened at your show with some people your friends with as well. you know person a votes person b person b votes person c and person c votes person a. i enjoy shows, but when i see people win awards that way it disgusts me. which is one of the main reasons i didnt bother going to many shows this year and chose to just cruise my truck and enjoy driving it. get more shows to be judged shows with judges that are not biased or try and steer people away from voting for their friends and actually looking at the other cars to vote for. otherwise they not too bad, could be an hour or two shorter, and the breakfast food idea in the am is great.

:word: that is the thing that irked me the most about car shows. the award categories and how they are judged. You have some POS’s win in some categories that shouldn’t even be allowed in the show because all of their friends come and vote to get them to win.

another thing is how most local shows out here group their categories. almost most are corvette bias. there are usually 12 classes for vette (6 classes being the generation production model and 6 classes being the generation modified). They are mostly old school bias as well. But lately you see a lot of late model cars coming and I think they should be broken down as well.

Every show I went to I was in this class “1980 and up modified”. This makes it increasingly difficult to judge and basically becomes a popularity contest when you were in this class.

As an FYI, in this class, at the Tri Five Show, I was beat by a 92 Buick Regal that have AutoZone wire loom and neons all over it.

I think the classes need a bit more refinement now.

im all for a Poker Run, unless this is done the illegal cannon ball style because my truck is slow and i would definately be last each stop, lol. I think having a nice run that lasts the majority of the day would be great.

The shows are getting stale because it’s the same stuff, over and over. It isn’t a car meet, it’s who has the most riced out car with matching colored spark plug wires and mudflaps.

The general number of douchebags is increasing as well. I remember at the Sport Compact Car & Truck Blast, the guy in the SRT8 Grand Cherokee was a huge tool, and half of his friends followed him around swinging from his balls. It was a fast car, very clean, but he was still an asshat.

Car meets are great…usually the only people who come out are those who are actual ‘car enthusiasts’ and not people just looking for an award or people looking to bash on imports/domestics. A nice cruise, a place to eat, enjoy the weather (not this time of year)…it’s great :slight_smile:

Maybe if we get a huge group together and do the aka rally? I know it cost some $ but its a vacation! Well to me at least. Or something of that sort.
Hey i own an srt8, i hope im not an ass hat???

:word: x 9029392842

i was in the import class for the tri-five, there was probably 6 imports in the WHOLE show…

i was beat by a 1972 VW beetle… what a joke.

I think what Shredd and Ragan have done is perfect. The drag racing is what keeps bring in the huge crowds. There needs to be something more then just the show it self to keep people. Just going around and looking at cars get boring fast. Something to break up the time helps keep me there and interested.

If anyone is up for a cruise maybe day or 2 day thing post, we can set something up a run to cape cod or something for clams! HAHA

They are called car shows, but no-one really shows what their car can do. I like seeing cars built, but I’d rather see what they can do than how they sit in a parking spot.

I’d love to see an event with autocross or course driving along side the usual stuff. I don’t think theres any place in the area that can do that though, other than Toronto.