car stalled when driving now wont fire again.

Hey guys

So I am stumped on this one. I was driving along when the car suddenly stalled for no reason. I popped the clutch in and started it back up after turning it over for about 10 seconds. at this point i checked all my guages and all read normal oil 40psi, volts 14, boost -15 give or take, temp good, and afr good. once i pulled into the parking lot the car died again and never started again.

I preformed a compression test and a spark test all are fine, turbo looks good, and no major boost leaks.

The only thing left to test is fuel pressure and injector signal though finding a fuel pressure gauge proved harder then expected.

The really strange part though is two things i noticed when cranking it over. it will crank over for a few seconds before you hear a loud and fast grinding sound. and an other time i tried to crank it over it just wouldn’t lights dimmed but nothing happened. did that twice before it would start to crank again.

My only idea is something inside could be binding the engine up causing the starter to work harder and the engine to not be able to fire? Any thoughts?

i just did a quick test to see if the injectors are working. i turned over the car with the spark plugs removed after i did this all 4 of the cylinders had a smell of gas. i don’t know if its enough fuel per cylinder or what. I also checked timing marks and they seem to be fine too. As far as i can tell right now this engine should be running like a champ.

SR or KA? sounds like a bad ground to me

KA24DET

Maf wiring ? Dizziy ?

Help me out here if its maf it should still run but run like shit right? and maybe i could take a closer look at the dizziy. i have spark on all plugs but maybe it jumped a tooth some how.

Anyone tried piggy backing the whole fuel system off someone else’s car. my idea is to connect the feed and return lines to his car from his filter to my rails. This should provide more pressure as his car is a v6 and allow me to by pass the whole fuel system in my car witch I know is a weak link for a wile now but just never bothered to fix it.

I had a look at a few more things seems the dizzy is well… not rotating with the engine and you can spin it by hand. after a closer look it looks like the timing idler and the dizzy gear are not touching anymore. Strangely enough no marks or grind points on any of the gears. I have to pull the upper timing housing to take a look at the idler closer im hoping the bolt just came undone and its an easy fix… hope so anyways…

Good lucck

It looks like I have the same problem, only my car could not start in the cold morning, when turning, it also made that sharp metallic sound couple of times and actually stopped turning at that moment as if it tried to turn in the different direction. I think it might be the ECU got no other ideas so far.

randy240sx +1, it was a grounding of head cover, to which the ignition coils are grounded. It should be grounded separately from the head and block as there is gasket and plastic washers, so the bolts do not necessary make contact. You can feel the difference. Also, there was a fuse No. 18 blown, not sure if that can be related.

Thanks

yea man grounds can be tricky, glad it was solved!