car still runs like crap after 4 new injectors...

i had 2 of my fuel injectors die in a week. i replaced those two but after that my car is really hard to start and will run on 3 cylinders sometimes. i mean a good 15 seconds of cranking then giving it some gas. so i thought i might need another two so i now have 4 new injectors and my car still wont start properly, and still runs on 3 sometimes. spark is fine, new fuel filter. any ideas?

check your spark plug wires…

did you plug it in the right order?

I helped fix an S13 that “runs on 3 cylinders” only because the spark plug wire orders were mixed up.

Maybe your MAF?

I remember looking at your car.
It was very strange because killing injecter #4 (pulling the plug) seemed to let the engine run better.

The only way that makes sense to me is if there isn’t combustion in that cylinder. So either compression isn’t happening, or spark isn’t. Compression OK? Have you tried holding the spark plug to the engine block and seeing the spark? Timing may be off? Distributer may be damaged?

i think teh fuel pressure is getting fucked up. Check your FPR and your pump

Good point sasha.
PS: That location is terrible :confused:

Could very well be the fuel pump.

thanks guys. ill look into it

Thats what I said today after we changed the injectors…
Can’t be electrical, Pump??

Its weird It cold starts fine…
After more than 10 min of running, takes good 15 seconds of crankin to get it goin and then it will run only on 3 cylinders under about 1500 rpms in first gear and neutral…

:?:

What did you do with the suposedly bad injectors?

After its warmed up and then you turn it off and try to start it, does it seem to be flooded?
I konw we have a tempature senser that tells when the car is warm and when its cold. So after it warms up it my still think its cold giving it to much fuel. But that dosnt explain the 1 cilnder not working.
Just an idea.

I had a great thought this morning in the shower.
And one about that injector as well :slight_smile:

I know you just replaced it … but is there a chance that the new injector is fuxored as well ?

haha thats what i was thinking aswell. i think i might swap them around today and see what happens…

Try your ignitor. On my SR I had a problem in my #1 cylinder. I thought it was a stuck injector. Wasn’t that. Changed to new HKS plugs. Wasn’t that.

It was a bad igniter.

I’m pretty sure this is a KA engine. Somehow from what you’re saying i ahve a feeling its more than just the fuel system… How do you know the speicfic cylinders which are failing? Just be sure of what you rule out - it could be something simple, i would check your fuel pressure first, and make sure all your injectors are clicking when the engine is running, and if that is good, i would check for spark on each plug, and if everythign has still checked out i would replace the FPR or even the whole fuel rail.

Hmm … temp sensor will make you run rich if it goes.

It does sound like fuel. Change your fuel filter. Install a temporary fuel pressure gauge in. Someone here should have the KA specs. I know it runs a wee bit more than my CA (37psi). I think it should be ~40 psi

It sounds to me like your fuel pump is dying, or your filter is plugged.

its a new fuel filter. if the fuel pump is going how come only cylinder 4 isnt firing? does that make sense?

Well, I’m still having a hard time figuring out what you’re saying.

You had injectors die.

From what, and how? Did they burn out? Two things I can think of. Injectors either die from clogging or physical damage, or from being run too hard.

#4 isn’t firing

How so? The plug isn’t firing? There isn’t fuel in the chamber? If there is fuel and spark but no combustion, I’d question your timing.

If there’s no fuel getting to the rail, or very little, you will burn your injectors out in very short order.

I’m sorry if a lot of this seems condescending, I don’t know you, so I don’t know what you know. I don’t know any relevant information about your car either, but going on the assumption that it’s a KA24E

What did the self diagnosis on the ECU tell you?

Where is the fuel getting to and how much?

If after cranking the motor a few times it doesn’t start, pull out the #4 plug. Is it wet with fuel?

The reason I’m leaning more and more toward your pump or some kind of obstruction …

think about it, you have 1 source feeding the rail (the pump)

from there, you have 4 openings (injectors)

If there’s not enough fuel coming in for it to run on 4, unhooking one injector means there’s now more fuel going to the other 3 injectors.

Why are you so sure it’s not electrical? Take a look at the wiring to your fuel pump on the top of the tank. I have yet to see an S series car that wasn’t just a big ball of corrosion.

Exactly, you have to problem solve and tell us exactly whats happening, here are a couple suggestions:

Let the car idle and pull off injector clips one at a time and see whe nthe engine stumbles, if it starts to stumble when you pull out an injector then you know that cylinder was getting good fuel pressure and the injector was working

Put a screwdriver on the injector and listen to hear if it is clicking, this way you know the injector is working. If you do this and pull the plug on the injector and it makes no difference, either you have no fuel pressure there OR you have no spark on that cylinder.

Take out all the spark plugs, and test one plug at a time to see if they are all making a nice arc and in the right order, the SR is 1,3,4,2 i belive the KA is the same sequence.

Come back and tell us the results of these tests.

i know its cylinder 4 not firing. i checked spark last week and it was fine but i suppose ill check it again. i pulled the plugs after it was running and they were not wet with fuel. i havent yet checked if the new injector in cylinder 4 is working so ill check. i checked the power to the injector and that is fine. ill do these checks tommorrow and let you guys know. thanks!