Carbon Fiber

Who on here would consider non-performance carbon fiber parts to be “Rice”.

i.e: CF Consoles, Door Panels, Steering Columns, Roof Panels, Trunk Lids, etc.

Substituting carbon fiber for almost any other material results in weight savings. My fiance’s '03 Protege has “carbon-fiber look” interior trim, which I consider rice.

I would say that if it is the fake shit, then rice.

If it is an overlay, you are not reducing weight because it overlays the original part,
and depending on what it is (part wise), it might be rice…

If it replaces the part completely, I would hit it 6 ways to Sunday…

carbon fiber body panels ftw

so i suppose any wrx owner who has a carbon fiber hood…is a ricer? seeing as how their hoods are made of alluminum which weights about the same as carbon fiber.

edit. I kind of hate the word rice… its so vauge… i mean on some cars a few non-performance addons make the car!
For me…the most i even spent on apperiance of a car was window tint.
BUt i also put eyelids on my gti…call me a ricer…but i think they look great!

That I consider to be total “rice” or just a really shallow display of wealth.

I do like weight savings, but dislike the fact that people justify not painting it to show it off. Non-painted CF body panels are hideous IMO, unless every panel on the car is CF.

Adding CF to the interior can make the car less safe.
Car companies spend tons o money making interiors safe, adding CF just doesn’t make sense.
If you have ever seen what a broken piece of CF does to a tire you can imagine what it will do to your face.

If it looks good and its real, its not rice :wink:

+1

If you’re adding carbon fiber to shave 5lbs off your car, and you yourself are more than 20lbs overweight, that’s rice.

If you’re adding carbon fiber to something that might save you a few grams (shifter, trim bits etc), that’s rice.

as long as its tasteful its good for me :tup:

wasn’t there some sort of nissan related showdown thread on UBRF and the driver of one of the cars was some HUGE HUGE fat girl.

I seem to remember the picture… It was like two teams facing eachother, the girl was on the right, standing all mean with her arms crossed.

EDIT: found the thread, but the pics gone. :frowning:

http://www.ubrf.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18107&highlight=honda+nissan