CarFox (CarFax)

Is the only way to do this to buy single reports for $35 now? Looking to buy one up front for my car that I’m selling, thought these were way cheaper in the past? Only need one report, so 5 for $50 or whatever is of no help.

wasn’t there a dealer on here doing them for free?

They are no longer doing that.

car fax increased their rates. It is crazy expensive to have a business account with them.

But yet they crap talk every dealer who doesn’t give people free car-fax reports on the cars they’re selling and claim “available at reputable dealers”…its all BS anyways, I’ve found sooooo many fuckups on it. Its only as accurate as the moron who filed the information with them was. I had a car that had confirmed 30,000 original miles, was spotless no way it was over that…all other paperwork said it was 30,000 original miles, but someone at carfax didn’t believe a '88 had 30,000 miles so they assumed it was a mistake and entered 130,000.

carfax is largely BS. I have to give them credit though. They build a industry based on fear and advertise their product well enough that people on both sides (dealer and consumer) get suckered into purchasing it.

http://vulpesffb.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/new-car-fox.jpg

Dealers should offer them, and if it is a deal breaker, a private party should offer it.

On my dealers website the cars on our website have attachments for the autocheck and the original window sticker… i think that’s pretty decent

Is carfox like a spinoff of starfox? I used to love that game!!!

I believe its a huge money maker. Esp. now that they seem to have suckered every dealer in to accounts that give the reports away free to consumers. Great job by them. Its not perfect, but in some instances, better than nothing.

I don’t feel an obligation to provide it, just thought it’d be nice to already have when I list the car, although I didn’t know if there was a way to do it for less than $35. Think they’ll just accept my 3 year old one from when I bought it? :-p

if your selling a car for thousands of dollars… whats 35 to prove that its clean etc

like everyone else said carfax can only show was was reported, so if someone has a car for 10 years and puts a different cluster in every year “to keep mileage down” as long as he doesnt report it for inspection/registration he will never get caught, same with if you can fix your own body work, that wouldnt show up on a carfax

I would bet that the vast majority of body work does not get reported to car fax.

anything reported to insurance will be reported to carfax, if its cash i doubt it would make it to carfax

That is not true

PM me the vin dude

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

THOUSANDS of dollars a month.

Carfax has a RAP (repair advantage program) rolling out that has them buying repair data from collision shops across north america for inclusion in their reports. the problem is overcoming insurance companies concern with the sharing of the data. Some insurers have bought it, it’s just a matter of time really.

Big value in this long term. It will motivate people to have their cars repaired at reputable places because most insurance DRP shops will be sharing this info. If the report on your car shows an accident report but no repair you’ll have more questions to answer to potential buyers.

very few insurers provide the data directly. Carfax sources most info from police, dealerships, DMV’s or the bodies that hold all of the data that the DMV has. They can get some insurance data indirectly because insurance companies need to report or share this data with industry regulators or associations.

Insurers are starting though.

incidentally, does anyone here know anyone who works for carfax?

2 years ago I bought a super-clean '95 Eclipse GSX that still had a Georgia title, which looked clean. Carfax was clean as well. I went to title it and got a letter back saying that it had been totalled in 2001.