Celtic1982citleC's fully built 2006 WRX STI

aww jeez.

Cure…no. Assist…yes. Honed a few gallies, removedcasting flash, reworked a few branches and galley transitions. Aside from cross drilling the crank mains there’s nothing else that can be done on the cheap($$), but cross drilling the crank can create other problems if certain steps are not taken along with it.

Unfortunately a good cure comes at a big price. I have certain machining and welding “steps” I do that changes the oil flow route through the cases, but it’s costs quite a penny for a street motor based just on labor rates and required parts. There are a few effective ways to help these motors, but it still boils down that the oiling system sucks for elevated RPM and costs a penny to setup the way it needs to be.

90% of the catastrophic EJ failures results from excessive RPM without adequate oil flow. I’ll take some pictures tomorrow of a MASSIVE failure to a BUILT EJ257 blot and show you what happens when things go wrong above 6K rpms in these motors…

i know the numbers… and goddamn justin… i miss my car now. :sad

Would a dry sump help?
I would love to see pics of that engine lol.
6k? Really? They start to starve above 6k?

Dry sump definitely helps in more way than one, and more areas than just oiling.

No, these motors tend to start having oil flow issues starting around 7K. The built motor I’ll show you tomorrow let go a tad north of 6K rpms, due to oiling issues.

Saw you on Western today around 3:30 pulling into the Y, I was in the black Altima giving you the thumbs up as I went by. The car sounds freaking amazing, even 5-6 cars back like I was ;D

Have any dry sump pics and specs?

For a D?

Just for general knowledge right now. I haven’t seen too many engines converted nor do I see parts available in the aftermarket so it makes me even more curious.

Find the wiki for “Dry Sump.”

These guys can custom make them for your specific usage. They have been used on a few Subarus who rev to 9500 rpm.
http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/

I don’t know of any specific company who has an off the shelf application for D series. Moroso makes them for the B series.

For subaru? I have a few from past motors in files(non digital) but just doing a google search pulls a few cosworth pics up. However not a true complete dry sump as it’s only a twin scavenging system scavenge system and still uses an OEM oil pump up front to pressurize the oil in the cases. It’s very clean and well thought out FWIW. CNC’ed billed pan as well. Somewhere around 4K but still requires a hose of fittings, AN line, high flow OEM pump, etc… The purpose built setups I’ve made run $4-8K on average pending parts, type of system, and a host of other variables. They’re also true complete drysumps, with multiple scavenge pumps and a dedicated pressure pump.

Suby dry sump systems essentially replace the AC pump, and requires case welding and machining and converted OEM oil pump/pickup ports. I’m working on a different pump location and setup to drive the drysump pump on the EG33 as I need to retain the AC. Being EG and not an EZ motor, I can retrofit it to EJ series motors. I use a 4 stage pump(3 scav, 1 pressure) typically.

I use Peterson components, and it just so happens that Peterson has released a true 3 stage dry sump kit for EJ series motors for a fai price($4-4500 + fittings/lines/tank/heater/etc)

Cant find my pictures of the Aston Martin DBR9 ALMS car dry sump setup, it’s so choice.

updated…new parts en route…getting ready for summer 09 :slight_smile:

Hot Import Nights?

:rofl

^^ Sick burn.

JW- Bumper fixed? Pikshas!

Ask and you shall receive. :slight_smile:

winter wheels?

P.S. - Hard to tell, but it’s a Seibon carbon fiber hood, and the stupid silver mesh is coming out ASAP.

And those wheels are supposed to be bronze, but will soon be rally charcoal or some nonsense like that… so yeah essentially looking exactly how it is now +FMIC.

Wheels are being powder by Moon to ‘Rally Wheel Charcoal’. Hooray. Those wheels are keepers…Evo offset on STI=pushed out to the very edge of the fender=me likey the aggressiveness…plus I can fit some big ol’ summer stickies on there since it gives me more clearance in relation to the shock bodies :slight_smile:

Thought he was powdercoating the Buddy Club wheels? Not the winters.