Census is due, dont get a $100 fine people.

FYI:

The 2010 Census is due today. Failure to return your 2010 Census can result in a $100 fine.

Census Law and Fines
The following section of the United States Code requires that people fill out their U.S. Census forms and provides a $100 penalty for not answering the Census and up to $500 for giving false information.
13 USC Sec. 221

TITLE 13 - CENSUS

CHAPTER 7 - OFFENSES AND PENALTIES

SUBCHAPTER II - OTHER PERSONS

Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers
(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.
(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500.

I already filled mine out, or atleast my wife said she did! lol And i am not opposed to doing so.

BUT to my eyes this is another “Joe Legal VS Jose Illegal” thing. If the legal citizen fails to fill it out, they get fined. When the Illegal citizen who of course wont be filling it out, wont get a fine. Do they just staple it to the door of the house or appt and hope someone says “sorry USA, heres my fine”. :wierd

Wtf?

I just dropped mine in the mail… :rofl

let them try and fine me

Boo. I’m callin joke.

What happens is, if you dont fill it out and send it back in, they will send a census worker out to your house to try to get the info from you. If you do not respond to them, i think thats where they can impose a fine

This was on Fly92 this morning according to my boss. She said it was an april fools joke.

I actually just read something online. They DO have a fine on record, but they hardly enforce it. I think it said something like 2 people since 1960 have been charged with it

fuck i think i threw mine out. nobody tells me what to fill out. LOL

^ + rep if I can

Checking today’s date*

nope I should be good.

He added that the budget for the census is $7.2 billion

Im willing to bet that could have been cut but QUITE a bit if they didn’t:

Send out a letter to EVERY HOUSEHOLD IN AMERICA a week before the census was to be there letting them know it was coming.

And then, a week after, another mailing to EVERY HOUSEHOLD IN AMERICA letting them know that they should have got the census form a week before.

I think those 2 mailings pissed me off more then the census itself

It wouldn’t surprise me. Our government wasted enough money telling us that the census was coming AND THEN even MORE $ wasted with ANOTHER letter reminding us to mail the census in.

I threw BOTH of them out :slight_smile:

^ That’s the spirit! +rep

I ripped mine up as soon as…i mean… i never got it, prove it!:lol

Why didn’t you just fill them out? :rofl

this is why the NE has shit roads, they think no one lives up here because no one does there census.

I like my logic, fuck you guys.

My father always told me its all the lil-immigrants driving cut sprieengs and slamin fart cans off the roads that are making the pot holes.

fuck I filled mine out 2 consenting adults 33 mexicans

who cares?? it only happens every 10 years and its useful information to somebody :lol

I dont mind doing it…took approx 1 min 30 s and done