Central Pneumatic air compressors?

I’m in need of a cheaper compressor and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the central pneumatic compressors from harbor freight tools. I just need something for occasional projects and for changing wheels ect… Thanks!

You can get a decent craftsman one fairly cheap. Go that route, mine has been flawless.

I’ve occasionally purchased CP/HR die grinders for rough projects I don’t want to put my expensive ones through, and yes they’ve died every time. Central Pneumatic products are disposable after use.

Just for a reliability reference…
I have 2 craftsman compressors. Both were free* to me.
All I had to do was replace the piston/seal/sleeve assembly ($40)

They were used by a company for 8-10 hours a day for 3 years before they wore out.
They replaced it with the same model twice now… So in a year or two I might even get another :slight_smile:

mine sucked, its free replacement sucks even worse and now doesnt run

dont get one

for changing wheels get a ele. impact gun. 1/2 drive. Only use a snap on, I htink some autoX guys know a cheap one, the you have use once a month that will last. Ask MXS I think she has one.

other car stuff a 18v impact driver with the 3/8 hex drive, You put a 1/4 or 3/8 square adapter for socket. A nice lithium 18v, light weight, small, fast battery charging, and one battery will last 10-15hrs. The dewalt, or I have 2 of the makita lithium ions are bad ass, with the LED light. $200 with a nice case changer and 2 batteries. Good for around the house too. And a nice setup for everything but wheels, and bigger bolts. But you can just breaker bar the lugs loose. And buzz them off with it, that saves and ton of time. And what I do for my race wheels.

The cheap compressors are ok for what there are, but not going to work for changing wheels, or a diegrinder that have a ton of airlfow. I have 2 of these
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93796
$9 warranty free replacement used 2 times now. Last about 9 months of use about 2 times a week, somtimes daily for a few weeks. Its super light and easy to carry around, I use it at the track to add tire air too, thats it for car stuff. Mostly for a 18ga brad gun. It will do some 16ga trim but the regulator is a pile of shit, way to slow for the presser drop.

I have a 30 gallon compressor I got from Lowes ( I forget their name brand ) and it has worked great for 3 years. I think it was only like $100.

I think theblue had been using one for years. If you’re going to go for non-cast iron/dry lubricated one - they are all crap (HF/Craftsman/HD/Lowes), but ok for light duty stuff.
The US Generals from HF are actually quite nice and are built in US.

That’s funny, I had the exact same thing happen to me. They were used to maintain pressure in a sprinkler system.

I think I wore out my craftsman unit, it is extremelly loud and takes forever to fill. I think my neighbors hate when I use it.