change of plans

hey guyz
looking for some info. Up until a few days ago my initial plan was to do an sr20 swap onto my 89 hatch when ever the funds came availiable.
Last night tho, i began curious about rebuilding my stock ka24e (sohc) engine an then custom mounting a tdo5 stock mitsubishi eclipse turbo onto the motor.
Has anyone done a setup simular to this?
do these motors handle boost well?
I just thought it would be kinda neat, as oppose to doing the common sr swap
also be cheaper too, considering i already have all the turbo plumbing from my talon!
hit me up an let me know what you think about this idea
thanks

WELL…
the SOHC has more torque, and can handle boost. check out adams red 89 in the feature cars section. KA24ET, over 400 hp! it would be original, but not any cheaper than an SR. parts are cheap and very easy to find on the E motors which is a plus, and the .4 really helps the torque factor, especially if you dont up the boost to 12 on an SR. go for it dude!

thanks
Another question…
are there any custom turbo fabricating shops around?
lookin to get a custom turbo manifold (high quality) for my motor
any good shops in the local toronto area?

i think nutronics can make you one…
talk to jantos (SHIFT_SR20DET)

better yet talk to the adam with the red ET S13

don’t bother Adam, just read his site. http://www.turbo240sx.ca/

You need to do a lot of work before it can handle boost. Besides, why SOHC? why not get a DOHC and turbot hat instead?

there are many proven manifolds out there already for the SOHC KA…

I have never tried it but I read it on a 510 board, you can use the CA18et turbo manifold on the KA24E, if you just want o get it going. you would prob want to upgrade eventually. Oh ya KAT’s rule and why not SOHC!

Talk to Chris at Cp racing about a Manifold.Im sure he can fabricate something no problem.

www.cpracing.ca
or (905)936-5151

No you can’t. I have 2 of them sitting in my hatch if you want to see, the bolt spacing is way off. The ca18et has 3 bolts per side, one top, two bottom, like a triangle. The KA is not.

What you’re looking for is the z18et turbo manifold. That will bolt up, as the KA is just a modified z motor.

But you’ll be stuck with a T2 flange, which won’t work on a TD05.

The Eclipse turbo (14B or 16G) are awesome turbos. They’ll leave most T3/4s bleeding from the wastegate, and you can pick them up for next to nothing. Even the lowly 14B will push over 450cfm of air at 1 BAR, and they will live up a lot higher than that. DSM downgraded to the T25 from the 14B because according to consumers, boost “engaged too harshly”

The biggest problem is that the DSM cars are basically set up like FWD cars, turbo up front, piping under the motor. I am putting a 14B on my ca18et, and I can walk you through the process if you’re interested.

First off you have to remove the locating pin from between the turbo halves. This will allow you to reposition all in/outs so they don’t go straight into your block.

Top mounting is just not an option, unless you pick up the Magnus 02 housing flange, and have someone make you an 02 housing that points the DP in the right direction. Otherwise your DP will be going vertically through your hood.

You’ll need custom lines too, but they can be fabbed/modified pretty easily.

Even on stock boost, a KA should love this turbo. As a DSM owner, you probably already know the benefits of porting your 14B. Oh and BTW, the stock SMIC from 1G talons is actually better than a lot of FMIC. Check out Gus Mahon’s intercooler test if you ever get a chance.