Change of scenery - Detroit

Well, I’m moving to the Detroit area.

Been with Derrick now almost 9 years and next week will be my last.

Got a job at GM in their engine development group, starting mid July so things are moving quickly.

It’ll be a big change, but the wife and I will be closer to home and I’m thinking this should be a dream job for me.

Excited!

Oh I will be going back to Houston at very least once a year for TX2K. :tspry:

the illiteracy rate is about 50%, and you won’t have any wheels on your cars in no time…

on the + side houses can be had for $500.00

^ LOL

Congratulations!

You should move to the city proper and buy your own neighborhood. You could probably afford like 3 or 4 blocks and a huge fence.

How many houses are there in Detroit with a 10 car garage?

:tup: man. Congrats.

Dan

3 or 4 blocks?? try 30 or 40 blocks. or just one giant building… now that would be sweet.

indoor go-kart track anyone?!?

As much as people from Buffalo won’t admit it under their cloud of awesome Buffalo, Detroit is just like Buffalo except Detroit is 3x bigger than Buffalo so its on a larger scale.

Congrats on the job, buddy. That sounds like an incredible opportunity.

So there will be at least two new cars running around Woodward Ave.

Maybe a dog, monster truck and what ever else you bring back. Remember mother-in-law is only a day away.

KB2TEA
see yall soon

Congrats man!

Engine development… Bring back the W Block!

Detroit is nothing like Buffalo.

The city is a ring of highways surrounding a much cooler than buffalo downtown with no connectivity to the vast swaths of shitty bulldozed neighborhood and projects surrounding it. The suburbs are much nicer and more affluent than ours ever were or will be however.

In a nutshell:

Downtown: Detroit+1
City: Buffalo +1
Suburbs: Detroit+1

I’d much rather live in the walkable and salvageable city of buffalo than the too far gone wasteland of Detroit.

Should be interesting that is for sure.

Right now we are looking around the Orion and Clarkson areas.

Nice,at least you’re well armed!

I know a great plastic surgeon who lives there, if you’re in need of that sort of thing.

Also Detroit isn’t THAT poor…

So pretty much every big city is going to have ghetto areas, and very nice areas.

The affluent areas in Michigan are very nice. Engineers for GM don’t live in the dumpy areas.

Congrats on the move up in job, and for chasing your dreams.

We live north of Austin, but I would be very happy in Houston/The Woodlands any day of the week. Very nice areas, and tons to do.

It would take a lot of dollars for me to move anywhere up north again however, but with the right salary you can get a heated driveway and a 4wd SUV, so who gives a shit.

I’d never move up north and be poor, that is tough!

We absolutely love The Woodlands and our house, but we have embarked on a new adventure can’t wait to see how it goes.

Congrats! Where are you going to be working? I have a bunch of old friends who work for various things within GM.

I lived in the Metro-Detroit area for 11 years and worked law-enforcement within the city. It’s very easy to determine what areas are safe and what places to avoid. When you’re in the city, don’t be stupid and keep your eyes open and you can avoid 99.9% of the potential problems.

As for the Clarkson/Lake Orion area; AWESOME places to live. I lived in Royal Oak for the last 6 years there and if I were to have move, it would have been to that area. If you have any questions about the area, feel free to message me. I have only been away from the area for a year and still go back pretty often.

Detroit gets a bad-rap, and the majority of it is rightly earned, but the Metro-Detroit area as a whole is a pretty awesome place to live, especially if you’re an auto-enthusiast.

Nice man, congrats! Gonna need warm clothing again lol