Cheapest lowering solution?

Well I got some 15" rims for my 240 for the summer, I was wondering what would be the cheapest solution to go low for the dough. Thanks.

cheapest??? chop your springs…the best way to properly do it is buy coilovers.

I have had 3 set-ips on my car

Springs=supreme shit, nice look but handles like stock

Spring and Shocks= better good all yearset up

Coilovers= the best bang for your buck. Megan racing ones are CHEAP and decent.

Don’t ever cut your springs - it’s dangerous. Lowering springs are NOT that expensive.

Buy a used set of coilovers - not much point just going lower when you can go lower AND faster!

cheapest is probably some H&R springs. But then you’ll realize they’re crap and get either better springs with struts or upgrade to coilovers and kick yourself in the ass for wasting money on H&R’s! they only have good spacers!

At least go with some Megan coilovers. Not only will your car handle better, but you won’t get the ricer bounce when your struts are too soft to cope with the higher spring rate :smiley:

B-Wurm :E

What am I looking at for these megan coilovers? price wise

Give Josh a call at 953-5674… official Members get a discount! 8)

I was looking on ebay and there going for 1000 dollars, I think springs are sounding better and better with the budget im on

someone had a sale on here for like 1200 or 1300 GST included shipped to your door…forget who that was. As the word gets out, more and more used coilovers of Megans will show up, have patience it’ll save you cash…I learn everything the hard way!

save your pennies springs and struts=gayness just wait until you can afford coilovers.

save your pennies springs and struts=gayness just wait until you can afford coilovers.[/quote]

Not sure what you people are thinking but coilovers are springs and struts…they are just adjustable.

I have some Eibach springs for sale for an S13. 1.6 inch drop for $150 if your interested send me a PM

save your pennies springs and struts=gayness just wait until you can afford coilovers.[/quote]

Not sure what you people are thinking but coilovers are springs and struts…they are just adjustable.[/quote]

no kidding. not to mention most people wouldn’t even know the first thing about adjusting coilovers properly.

Coilovers are meant for track racers in mind needing the flexibility of mutiple adjustments. IE. corner weighting, spring rate selection, camber changes,… etc IMO getting a set of coilovers just for the reason buddy next door tells you to is just retarded. For daily street driving coilovers are a waste of money, you will never use anywhere near its potential.

I’m sure others will beg differ. this is just IMO.

OH OH OH … WAIT WAIT WAIT… I GOT A GOODER!!

LET JEFFS MOM SIT IN YOUR CAR!!! hahahaha >.< :finga: :butthead:

Yup they do beg to differ. :stuck_out_tongue: By your logic, more powerful cars are pointless. Arguably, you only need 100ish HP for daily driving. Nor are good looks a necessity. Why bother modifying the car in the first place?

Anyway, one of the bigger advantages I find is the camber adjustment. It saves your tires. With negative camber you wear the inside of your tire and wind up replacing the rubber much sooner than normal and you don’t even get the full use of your tread. If you just lower the car with springs you can’t make adjustments.

And you don’t need to be a racing driver to appreciate the benefits of a good suspension setup. Quicker turn-in is one advantage. Without having to wait for the weight transfer to load the springs the car changes direction much quicker and brakes better. It’s an all 'round better driving experience and not to mention it helps when trying to avoid accidents. There’s no point in spending money on a car that understeers like a cat on hardwood if you’re just gonna lower it. You’ll just have an understeering car that’s more prone to scraping.

Save the money and buy some coilovers, buy used if you want to save a few bucks. You won’t regret it.

B-Wurm :smiley:

I agree in regards that you don’t need to be a hardcore racer to appreciate a nice suspension, but that was not my point in argument. I simply stated coilovers are far beyond what most people need for daily street driving. It is a bad idea to get a set for the reason that everyone tells you to without having the knowledge the end user these are meant for.

Cheapest lowering solution would be a good matching set of springs and struts. A well matched set will offer nice street performance/weekend racing. IE. stock struts and lowering springs is not my idea of a well matched combo. Camber adjustment can be added with a set of camber bolts. In my experience, negative camber does not affect tire wear with only a mild drop. Improperly set toe however will eat up tires quickly. The only time i see the need for coilovers on the street is when the car has been lowered to the point where bump travel is an issue.

I’m not sure if i follow your theory behind the need for coilovers. How exactly does having coilovers offer quicker turn in or improve on “waiting for weight transfer to load the springs”? Or even help in accident prevention? It is beyond me why coilovers help in these areas of daily driving.

With this siad, i’m just trying to offer a bit of useful infomation. Not to pick on anyone but saying springs and struts are “gay” is not a valid reason to why someone should purchase coilovers.

[quote=“2000impreza”]

I agree in regards that you don’t need to be a hardcore racer to appreciate a nice suspension, but that was not my point in argument. I simply stated coilovers are far beyond what most people need for daily street driving. It is a bad idea to get a set for the reason that everyone tells you to without having the knowledge the end user these are meant for.

Cheapest lowering solution would be a good matching set of springs and struts. A well matched set will offer nice street performance/weekend racing. IE. stock struts and lowering springs is not my idea of a well matched combo. Camber adjustment can be added with a set of camber bolts. In my experience, negative camber does not affect tire wear with only a mild drop. Improperly set toe however will eat up tires quickly. The only time i see the need for coilovers on the street is when the car has been lowered to the point where bump travel is an issue.

I’m not sure if i follow your theory behind the need for coilovers. How exactly does having coilovers offer quicker turn in or improve on “waiting for weight transfer to load the springs”? Or even help in accident prevention? It is beyond me why coilovers help in these areas of daily driving.

With this siad, i’m just trying to offer a bit of useful infomation. Not to pick on anyone but saying springs and struts are “gay” is not a valid reason to why someone should purchase coilovers.[/quote]

Umm spring and shocks on a 240 leave ALOT to be desired, i find my coilovers with 9/7 spring rates are alot more streetable than my Tein s-tech and KYB agx’s.
Bump travel is a issue with S13’s when lowered around 2 inches.
With a 2 inch drop you should have around 3 degrees of negative camber which is an issue.

And last of all WHEEL CLEARENCE.

When a driver turns the steering wheel, the body of the car rolls to one side, transfering weight onto those wheels and increasing vertical load. Now before the full traction potential of the tire can be realized, the springs of the suspension need to “load” (reach the limit that the spring can be compressed by the weight) and then the force is transfered to the tire. Basically, the stiffer the spring, the quicker it will load, shortening the amount of time it takes before the the tire becomes fully loaded and reaches its grip potential, resulting in quicker turn-in.

The same principle applies to lowering springs and I won’t deny that a spring/strut combo is a very viable option but for an extra couple hundred dollars you can have an adjustable set of springs and struts that were engineered to work with each other.

B-Wurm :smiley:

Get some lowerings spring and some new struts such as KYB AGX and call it a day for a year or 2. Anything will feel 100 times better than stock suspension. Once you start to autocross a bit more or want to start drifting then i would recomend looking for a set of coilovers.

Disregard most of the technical stuf brought up in this thread because im pretty sure none of us have daily driven race cars sitting in our driveway, we just like to think we do.

And Rob how are your springs 7/9 when mine are 6/8 and feel twice as stiff? :finga: