Help me decide: Springs vs Coilovers

Okay…so…someone on the other forum I’m on just posted the Espelir springs for sale for $250 less than they are new ($300 shipped - although, the site is now listing them at $389 new as opposed to the $500+ they were before)). These are the only springs made specifically for the AWD version of the car. It’s hard to find them used, which is why I’m posting this as I’m ready to pick them up.

They were initially my only plan for lowering the car…but lately I have been going back and forth between getting springs or saving for coilovers.

Coilovers for this car (the ones I plan to get anyway) would be about $1300-1400 installed. I can buy these springs for $300 and pay Wayne another couple of hundred or so (have discussed this with him in the past) and get them installed for under $600.

What is the pro’s/con’s of coilovers vs springs. I’m asking you guys instead of googling (although I have done this preliminarily) because we all live in the same geographic area. Do NY winters wreck havoc on coilovers?

Let me know your opinions. These are considered ‘high-end’ springs. As expensive as they get.

Here is how they (the springs) look compared to my sig pic:

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/gallery/images/m_lower_side.jpg

you dont seem like the type that will adjust your ride height very often (if at all) using coilovers, so I would just get springs.

what are your plans for the car?

If you plan on driving it in the winter, don’t bother with the coilovers. I bought coilovers because i wanted to put the car as low as i could in the summer and then higher in the winter. After one winter the only thing i could adjust was the dampener. all the collars were rusted solid. I’m not sure if rust is the propper term as everthing was painted, but you couldn’t budge them other then completely removing the coilover, and putting it in a bench vice and using a pipe wrench.

Personally, I think coilovers are overkill of any car thats not going to see a track anyway. Different designs adjust differently so you might not have as much problem as i did with them freezing up.

I am not very experienced in auto repair/modding and i handled the coilover install and also changed a spring on the stock strut. You might want to consider saving some money and installing yourself if possible.

The only benefit to a street-only car having coilovers is adjustable ride height. I guess you can consider fitting “hellaflush” wheels (most coilover assemblies are thinner than stock shock/spring setups) as well, but that’s not my type of thing. Answer these few things first:

1. Do you plan on adjusting ride height, or do the springs you want satisfy the drop you’d want?
  2. What brand coilovers would you be getting? Most cheaper companies will have cheaper dampers, which is what matters most for ride quality. They also usually only offer limited spring options for rate and what not. High end coilovers (well over your $1,400 budget) will ride great on the street and have excellent materials that will be more tolerant of most driving conditions.

Also, price does not reflect quality whatsoever. The springs for the coilover set I’m getting are about $300 new, and are of excellent quality for track purposes.

Just do springs bro lol

I put coil overs on VOT VOTs tdi and he had me smear them with boat grease all over the place as well as velco covers. You should ask him how it actually held up.

Are you going to actually adjust the height of the car ever? The coil overs will pay for themselves the first time you have to have the stock springs reinstalled for winter use… initial install’s the same price either way.

Really depends on your needs / wants for the car. Do the coil overs allow adjustment back to stock height? I know most stuff people bring me are like 1-2 inch drop at max height. Fucking stancefag garbage. :rofl :rofl

This question again? You’re clearly not prepared for adjustable coilovers. Springs breh. Just do it.

Here are my only requirements for ANY drop:

1. Look good
  2. Ride as OEM as possible
  3. Be low maintenance/zero maintenance.

I do not plan to adjust the height. I drove a 2in lowered Maxima in the winter just fine and this car is higher to begin with.

As for installation…I could definitely do it. I’ve done much more work on my car…however…I hate spring compressors with a f’in passion. I’ll just pay Wayne $250 or whatever and have him deal with that crap :crackup.

I’ll probably just do that. Question never got answered :lol. I was told my choice of future coils (BC Racing) was crap though. :lol

i’d be curious to know how they held up. I guess that would prevent the corrosion.

if he is dead set on adjusting height up and down summer to winter then deffinetly go with coilovers. but if he’s not perpared to install them himself then maybe he shouldn’t bother. To adjust the height on mine you had to disconect the coil over from the knuckle, which was arguably the hardest part of the install.

if i were u and i installed the springs i’d just deal with the ride height difference… probably wont make as much difference driving in the snow as you’d think.

seeing 2) and 3) you deffinetly want springs.

I’ve seen a lot of ‘what the hell is this noise coming from my coilover’ threads.

spings are basically just bolt on and forget it, coilovers honestly should be adjusted properlly and that might take a few times messing with them.

Springs dude. Fuck spending $1000 extra for some shit that will never work as good as a factory strut.

:rofl

Springs it is. Wayne, I’ll be contacting you shortly to get these installed. How much time do you need to install these?

confused. I thought coil overs were springs…?

Bag it you pussy

Depends on your schedule. Drop off one night after work pick up next day at your leasure or drop off on like a fri/sat morning and get it back that evening?? I try my best to schedule around w/e people have going on.

on a moar serious note. If you cant adjust ride height for winter why not just get taller snow tires… as long as there is room. Or put spring spacers in for winter.

good advice. I’m on it!

Spring spacers are for rednecks hauling too much weight in their pickups. Thats why.

Preferred would be drop off in the morning and pick up in the evening. Or I can stick around and help you so we can get it done faster? I’ll just let you do the front compressing of the springs cause like I said…spring compressors are like the plague to me. Can’t even explain why I hate them so much.

Here is a general install howto for my car (it’s actually for an FX35 - but similar setup) to give you an idea of the time needed:

http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/threads/9333-2003-2008-FX35-FX45-BC-Coilover-Install-DIY

I’m not concerned about the winter height. Just the maintenance (which springs have zero of). I drove a Maxima that was even lower than this will be once it’s dropped through a blizzard or two with no issues.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2B3lRkAgLQ[/ame]