cheektowaga residents, help!

i’m looking at a few houses in the neighborhood behind st. josephs hospital

it seems like a decent area, but it gets shitty real quick to the west of harlem.

should i try to avoid this area?

personally, I would look elsewhere. It’s not a terrible area, but it seems the hood keeps moving closer and closer towards wal-mart.

I wouldnt wanna live near sloppy joe’s

that is what i am afraid of. i’ll probably be there for 5-10 years, and then looking elsewhere. so not being able to sell is a problem :frowning:

we have looked at a few to the north of the 33 around cleveland. that area seems like it will be ok for a few years to come.

any specific reason you want to stay in cheektowaga?

closer to work and you can get some decent stuff in the 80-90k range.

looking around depew as well.

you should look at my house, right in your price range.

we have, capes are just not for me :frowning:

Ok, I just bought my house in depew 2.5 yrs ago. There should be a good amount of houses in that range in Depew.

Also, not sure what sites you’ve been checking out for house listings, but check out americaschoice.com

no realtors, so no extra fees, etc.

That area isn’t bad minus the construction. Decent amount of stores, gas stations, and banks. Fire Dept is right by the corner of Harlem and Cleveland and they respond really fast if you ever should need it.

If you have kids, you’d be in the Cleveland Hill school district. They just rebuilt the school like 8 years ago.

I would never buy a house that borders a bad area. That bad area expands just a little, your property value plummets, and you’re now stuck paying on a house you can’t sell.

lots of cops over there my mom lives over there on genesee and hasnt had any problems but depending on what and how you drive the thugs may not be your problem

Depew isn’t bad if you stay away from the ghetto Broadway section.

i have never had a problem in my area. only with smart a$$ kids.

x2, i live on eastland right behind there, we had a really nice neighborhood and everyone kept up on their property, m y parents are looking to get out cause our property value keeps dropping and hte hood is like 30 seconds away, we’re one of the few houses that still cuts our lawn

Fixed.

Well lets see I live on loxley 4 streets west of harlem down genesee. And the neighborhood has been rapidly declining and going to shit. But on the otherhand on the otherside of Harlem the neighborhood is actually pretty decent and quite nice.
Well if you decide to move in over there welcome to the neighborhood.

It comes down to investment risk.

80k mortgage today. 8 years from now you’re hoping to move and take the equity you’ve built up and use it for the downpayment on your new place.

Uh oh, house is only worth 55k now because the ghetto has spread and that area that 8 years ago was just bordering the ghetto now is ghetto. Bye bye equity.

Now if you sell you’re lucky to just pay off the mortgage. You’ve got no money to put down on a new place, and chances are the areas you want to move to have appreciated in the last 8 years so they’re even farther out of your price range.

Worth the risk to you?

I used to party on loxley like everyday untill the kids there got raided and kicked out that street hated our parties and let us know it

i live over there. i am right off cleveland like 5 blocks east of harlem. i love my street. everyone keeps up their property very well. i havent had any problems. but again…i dont plan on being here more than 5 more years or so. it may not be worth the risk. but if youre looking for a starter house or something cheaper, this is not a bad area. you can get much more house and land for your money. if you are planning on living there for more than 10 years though, i may rethink.