Chronic pain sufferers and Med students IN HERE PLZ!

So as some of you know, almost 4 years ago I got into a horrible car accident and ended up with a broken arm in 5 spots which was reconstructed with a steel plate, 2 dislocated ribs, dislocated shoulder with a partially torn ligament and tendon, and a ruptured disk in my back.

I was on lortabs (10mg hydrocodone/500mg acetametaphine) for about a month, then to 40mg oxycontin for a few months, then down to the lortabs again. Over the years, my body developed a very high tolerance to opiates, so a 25mcg fentenyl patch was recommended. I tried it, and didnt like it because there was nothing that really worked for breakthrough pain. I didn’t like feeling “dope sick” and like shit if I didn’t have meds, but they just took the sickness away now, didnt do much for the pain.

I took suboxune to ween my body off the opiates because I didn’t like the physical addiction. My doctor put me on muscle relaxors (5mg Soma, then 10mg Flexeril) for my back spasms, 50mg Tramadol for pain, and 500mg Naproxen for an anti-inflammatory, which I’ve been on since I was 16 when I partially tore a ligament in my throwing arm in baseball when I blew my arm out.

The muslce relaxors make me super drowsy and I just want to sleep, I developed a small ulcer from the mass amounts of Naproxen and Acetametaphine (from the lortabs), the Tramadol doesnt do anything for the pain, and Naproxen dont do shit either.

My question is, what works for you guys? I don’t want to be on opiate treatment, but need something that works. I know that I’m going to be in pain for the rest of my life, but its just too much. I can’t work on my car longer than 30min, I can’t sleep without tossing and turning from back pain, I can’t play sports I used to because my arms fatigue easily from the plate in my left arm and ligament damage in my right arm.

:help:

:pimp:

Have you tried chiropratic care, acupuncture, or any other natural remedies?

I saw this kind of stuff too many times during the 5 years I was a pharmacy tech. :frowning: You’re addicted to pain killers.

Physical therapy for a year or so, but it really didnt do anything.

BikerFry – Yes, I was addicted to them, and I took the suboxune to get off of them, now I’m looking for a non opiate treatment.

At the time, I knew nothing about pills, I simply thought it was my “medication.” I never walked into the pharmacy and said, awesome, cant wait to get addicted to my script!

My thing wasnt chronic, but it was about a year, and Gabapentin worked pretty well. Not quite as good as oxy’s, but its non-drowsy and non-opiate.

tried gabapentin, didnt do anything, then I was given methadone for pain reflief for some retarded reason

Medicinal weed via cali?

I hate smoking weed

that was a joke, i was thinking of last week’s entourage.

I’m a veteran and they give me Naproxen for my lower back stuff but I think your case is more severe.

I hope you find something that works man. I am in pain just reading all of the injuries you have, I can only imagine.

yea strych is pretty fucked up from that accident.

Ill rub your back??? :gotme:

Hydro cortizone shot in your back, also a shot of lydacane in your back will help

My gf has a ton of Naproxen, that stuff is weak sauce.

Cortizone shot might help, never had one. Or just walk around daily with a morphine drip, that will cure your addiction… er not.

I was gonna say pot as well; from what you’ve described there’s not much left that will do anything. Acupuncture and holistic approaches are about all u have left to try. Fetenal you can’t get much stronger than that; infact I think that’s as strong as it gets; bottom line.

dilaudid? thats prolly an opiate tho. old grandad? jack daniels?

What are you on now?

Word, its free so i cant complain…

Man up and learn to live with it. Become surly and crotchety. People will respect you for that.