Claiming modifications when insuring

Im currently getting insurance for my car. Question is, do i have to claim every modification the car has? The car is modified and does have roll cage and racing seat for example. Are these things that i absolutly have to claim? If not what happens if i get into an accident? I wouldnt care for insurance to replace the items i didnt claim ( aero kit, rims, etc.). Im worried that they might not deal with the claim at all because it was on false pre-tense of the car being stock. Does anybody know how i can tip toe around the issue of insuring a modified car without paying huge rates for the mods? So far RBC gave me a good quote of $4600/year full coverage. Thats with me telling them i had no mods! lol That seems reasonable for me though being 20, almost 5 yrs driving, G license, no tickets or accidents. Pretty much what i was expecting. Just curious now as to what happens if i get a good quote, and insure with that comany without telling them the mods my car has. What will happen if i get into a collision that i have to claim.

Thanks guys for the help. You guys are making the whole importing/buying/insuring thing a lot easier.

Garett

… and yes i know its not the smartest thing to do. Buy a car before finding out insurance figures. But hey, thats life, live and learn.

Hi,

Pros-
You save $$ on insurance.

Cons-
You take the chance of loosing all coverage, including liability if you are involved in an accident.
Which means, that if by chance (heaven forbid) you are involved in a fatal accident where someone has died, you are liable for any lawsuits and legal fee’s that may pertain to that incident. The loss could be massive and well into the millions.

The decision is ultimately yours.
Good luck.

R

If you get the car appraised and insure the appraised amount you will have everthing covered.

The appraisal will include all mods such as roll cages, sport seat, intake, etc.?

If so, will i be insured as high risk because of the mods?

so let me get this straight, when you guys go out and buy an exhaust system or racing seat for your car, you go and call your insurance company and tell them that you recently installed the part?

I would say check your terms in your policy to find out all the information as to whether or not you would be covered. If it dosent affect your being insured or them dropping your coverage then really its up to you, do you want to pay more and cover everything or pay less but know that they will only replace the blue book value of your car in stock form. I belive some insurance companys will insure a caged car but i belive you must have a second daily driver so that they know you don’t drive the caged car all the time but it will be hard to find a company. Best bet if you want a cage get a bolt in and tell them you only put it in when going to the track.

if you were to get t boned in a caged car (depending on the cage) wearing your regular seat belt, you would likely die when your head smashes to bits off the hard bars. even with a 4 or 5 point harness, you still might not be safe without a helmet. that’s why its hard to insure them.

my cage is bolt-in. so maybe i can remove it when getting appraised, besides that i would think it would be safer to be in an accident with a roll cage? no?

I only say bolt in cages because if your insurance company doesn’t insure them you can take it out. And when/if you go to the track put it back in because your insurance is void there anyways

You need a Hanzzzzz device. lmao

LoL@Terry…:R

If that is not enough incentive to remove it, then I am not sure what more to say…

sweet… so im gonna be rockin a helmet whenever i go for cruises!! just kidding! il see when i get the car how the clearance is with the cage and my skull. Hopefully if its not close i can maybe work around it. I would post pics but im not sure how. Anywayz thanks for the help guys and il save the hanz device for cscs next year!

Anybody know where i can find out about all the laws about modifications about cars? Ride height, exhaust dbs, cages, harnesses, etc?

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/ <==Info, and to post pictures set up a photobucket account (www.photobucket.com) upload your pics to there and copy the IMG tag under the picture into the thread and thats it.

Thanks Terrible_1, i have already been on that website searching for certain things such as 4.1 racing harnesses. I can find stuff relevent to seatbelts just not the whole harness thing. Il try getting a number and talking to someone personally. My cars still in Japan and i only have cell phone pics of it. Once it arrives at the oni-jdm office, they will send me some high res. pictures. Il register at photobucket and post some pics once i get them. Thanks again

Your best bet would be to talk to someone if you can find the number, there you can find out all your information plus you don’t have to give your name or drivers licence number anything.