Roll Cage - Street Legal?. ALSO: INTERIOR MODS

any laws about it?..

what’s the deal with them.

ALSO:

is removing the rear seats, or, lightening out the interior illegal either?..

like, I know Carbon Fiber door panles are popular, (and CF Doors, Trunks, and Hoods)

interior is all fair game right?..

they are unsafe unless you are strictly racing. if you get in an accident and have a rollcage and your insurance company finds out they will not cover you.

WHAT?..

really?!

no way… shit.

I thought it’d be a good thing,

wow?..

but, they aren’t illegal?..

just, insurange you get fuxed?.

They can be very dangerous on the street, If u ever get in an accicdent, hitting ure head on a bar would be really bad, if not fatal. Even if u had it wrapped. I dont think they are illegal though, but if ure not spending like half ure tme at the track and barely any on the street id stay away from one. And ya insurance will wipe their hands of u, they are a liabilty and the company considers the car “race only” and will not cover u for anything if it happens on the street.

they ruin your crumple zones in your car making it very unsafe during an accident

Thanks everyone for feedback,

something that was confusing the hell out of me.

I dunno what the coverage difference would be but when i filled out the form to setup my insurance there was a whole section on modifications including a box to check for roll cage…muscle car guys have been driving their cars on the street with them this past 50 years, i’m sure there’s a solution, however expensive it may be…call your insurance copmany and ask…

So you have this in writing anywhere?

So you have this in writing anywhere?

My insurance company asked me if it had it wen i was goin to insure imy car. Saying, they would not cover me if the car had a rollcage. I didnt get it in writing because i dont ever plan on installing one, so it wasnt an issue for me. I admit that this is probally a gerneralization and that if u are interested in installing one, knowing the risks, call ure insurance company. some might still cover u, at an added cost or for nothing extra. I am pretty sure they r not illegal, but “frowned upon” (like changing lanes in an intersection, or radar detectors) by the police.

So you have this in writing anywhere?[/quote]

when i insured both my 180 and 240 i was asked if i had a roll cage. they said that if i did have a roll cage they could not cover me and if i lied about it and i made a claim i would not be covered

Morgex asked me this. and i asked why he said. " well the company iam puttignyou under now wont insure that stuff. If you did i have to put you under ouw other broker but the cost would still be the same . "

you can insure it just need to find the rigth broker

There is some correct information in this thread and some incorrect information.

First off you do not want to put a roll cage in your car if you are driving it on the street without a helmet. It’s highly likely that your head will impact the cage in a crash even if you have a 5 point steering wheel. Usually on the drivers side hoop. This can cause some pretty serious brain damage. NOT a good thing. Sure you can add the protective foam, but realistically that is only designed for low speed bumps when you’re getting in and out of the car. It will not protect you in any way during a crash. That said, reasons I can see if having a cage in your street car.

• Your car runs a lot enough time in the 1320 that you require one to run a castrol
  • Your an active drifter, the chance of side impact is pretty high and usually the side of a car is the weakest point. This is especially true of older cars.
  • You use that car in a class of competitive racing that requires a cage…

In all honesty I think we can say that your sentra is not going to be doing any of these things. I could be wrong, and if I am I would love to see the car. I havent come across one yet.

TravyPoo commented that a cage will ruin your cars crumple zones… This is actually incorrect. Crumple zones are designed into the car outside of the passenger compartment. The cage only reinforces the inside of that section of the car from a safety standpoint. It may reinforce the rear strut towers so the rear crumple zones may be slightly compromised. Usually getting rear ended isn’t much of a issue cage wise… Also, while many people will argue this, a properly designed cage should be boxed at its mounting points to allow for added shock absorbance during a high speed impact. The reason for this to help prevent soft tissue damage. A rigid cage may protect you from direct impact and make the car a lot stiffer but your body isn’t much good to you when your brain goes splat against the inside of your skull.

Insurance companies usually have a policy of not insuring cars that have been modified specifically for racing. While some may argue that they put the cage in for show reasons I have a hard time believing they would do so if they were not planning on pushing the car at some point. I happen to agree with them about this. A good way around this is to get your car insured for an appraised value. A good idea for most of us that have highly modified cars anyway considering the value of the aftermarket parts we have installed. My civic is insured for an appraised value. It only increased the premium by $100 a year. An investment that is worth it. Considering if the car was ever stolen I would get $20,000 instead of 2 or 3 thousand. It’s a good idea to ask your insurance broker about what kind of coverage they have. Some companies will void insurance based on something as small as lowering the car. It’s better to know what you’re paying for but many people don’t ask because they are worried about increased insurance costs.

ALSO: is removing the rear seats, or, lightening out the interior illegal either?..
Like, I know Carbon Fiber door panels are popular, (and CF Doors, Trunks, and Hoods)
Interior is all fair game right?..

Now onto this part of the question.

While removing most interior parts is not illegal, there are a couple exceptions. I actually have done some illegal modification to my civic, considering it’s a track car. It’s unlikely that many cops would call it on me but I have removed the 3rd brake light from my car which was mounted in the rear window. Technically doing so is illegal.

I have also been pulled over several times in a car with stripped interior and while it’s not actually illegal I have had cops get on my case about it. I believe they are mostly doing this because they know why I would do it. For racing. But the biggest thing I have found is that they tell me they can tow the car because I have removed the rear seat belt assemblies. In all honesty no one is going to be sitting back there… There are no seats… and no interior panels… hell my car doesn’t even have a carpet or the sound deadening tar that it should have under that. But I still get hassled about it. If you decide to do so be prepared to have this kind of thing happen to you.

As for carbon fiber. They are legal, at least at this point. Realistically the carbon fiber door panels are just that panels. They replace the outer skin of the door. Since the crash protection is found inside the door there shouldn’t be any issues with them. Hoods and trunks on the other hand do not need to pass any kind of crash testing. Personally while I have never seen anything overly dangerous happen during a crash. I would still use hood pins in the hood to help hold it in place. The worst I have seen happen in person is a hood latch break off in the winter time and the hood fly back and shatter the windshield. It’s still dangerous, especially at 170+ KM/h. On top of that if you take the hood off your car and remove the skeleton from the underside of the hood, leaving just the outer shell and frame your stock hood would likely be just as light or lighter then the majority of carbon fiber hoods on the market today. It’s also free. For your trunk you could also do the same thing and weld it closed or you can get race locks for the outside if you’re serious about racing. Removal of all the latch and related cables could net you nearly 10 pounds of weight reduction. I have found that lately carbon fiber panels are look down upon by a lot of people in the touring car series. Just because of the added cost for no real return on weight reduction… I know that CF stuff is still pretty and goes over well for most street tuners. =) Hope this helps.

like really my jeep TJ had a roll cage :roll: . just make sure th broker your company deals with will insure it end of story lol

My Sentra has a full WCMA Road Race legal cage and is fully licensed and insured for the street.
While your head will hit the foam covered bar, it would also hit the unpadded side window in the same situation. WCMA specs the padding for accidents, not for getting in or out of the car.
My cage DOES NOT interfere with the major crumple zones. It is fully inside the car, and does not protrude past, or attach to the strut or shock towers, and all factory side protection is in place.
My car is built as a track car. Its not driven every day, or even every week. The fully stripped interior is like driving in an oil drum. Draw your own conclusions.

Trevor.

If your insurance company asks you if you have a roll cage or any other modifications for that matter, and you say yes, and they agree to insure you then no problem. If you lie, they can look at it as “material change in risk” or “non-disclosure” and then yes, your insurance can be denied. If you race whether street or track, you have no coverage irregardless because racing is considered to be an “excluded peril”. But if you have collision say, and you drive down the road and someone rams into you, wrecking your car, if you told them about your modifications then you have no problem. Its when you play dumb or lie and tell them that you don’t have modifications you have a problem. Basically what it comes down to, is it really worth saving a couple hundred dollars on your premium a year by not telling them you have mods? Or being able to get everything dealt with accordingly in an event of the unforseen?

hmm when I still had my 240 it was stripped 1/2 back. Never had a problem when I was pulled over a few times. But I did get 3 tickets for no front plate. Damn B.C…