Cleaning engine parts

I’m attempting to do a full restoration on my engine. I started off wire brushing and painting all the parts but I’m not sure if that is the finish I want now. Also, I need a better way of cleaning the block and heads.

Everything looks like this

Any tips on cleaning? Is it save to soda blast an assembled block/heads if I protect the right places? Thanks

what type of metal is it?

get some purple power kid

Everything is aluminum. I have purple power, but it doesn’t do much.

I use that purple cleaner for everything. But on my assembled motor a wire wheel worked very well to take off carbon buildup and other junk like that.

well then your not usin it right.

i only use it because mike with max stole it for me from advanced

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I don’t have 22.5 different sized grinders to get in all the nooks and crannys with a wire wheel, steam clean doesn’t do anything, and purple power and simple green suck.

now you are going overboard kid.

don’t talk shit about purple power.

Soak some parts in that mysterious shit we have in the Folger’s container at work :rofl

in all seriousness can’t you sandblast the parts? i’m sure the cameo expert at hvcc has suttin you can duke em good in

if you let the purple power soak for a bit then use some carb and choke cleaner or arosol spray cleaner.

wire wheel and wd40 has worked WONDERs for me

http://ecki.com/vst//prdt459.htm

carb-off! we used to clean freezers at my old job it will eat paint off metal! itll clean anything! just spray it on let it set and wipe it off!

How do you get in the little nooks? The wire wheels for rotary tools last about 2 seconds and are expensive as hell.

i just use a cone shaped wire wheel on the end of a drill.

Genius, I’ll have to grab one of those. Do they last awhile?

Yes this.

For cheap you can even get a 21$ corded drill and 4.75 wirewheel from walmart. ive used mine so much i thought it would die by now…

Heres the drill and wirewheel from walmart. (didnt want to kill my ryobi) and btw the wheel lookss like that after 5 weeks of grinding on shit.

I already have an angle grinder with 4.5" wire wheels. I have everything I can reach with that all cleaned up

if its alu while the motor is cool and degreased use that wire wheel cleaner " for rims " thats like a acid soak the motor down in that for a few min then rinse off well ,shit will look like new