Cleaning rust out of an old gas tank?

I have a few odd projects, mostly cycles, that I need to go in and break up all the old surface rust. Does anyone know of any products or DIY methods (Someone mentioned vinegar?) to clean the rust out without cutting the tank open? I have this old Puch Maxi moped I’m thinking about restoring for shits and giggles.

http://twinoak.altelco.net/~jacil/clay/motorcycle/KElecSetup.html

ive done this before just to play with, it seems to work well

POR-15 makes a DIY sealing kit

Just a warning, since it wasn’t posted on the electrolysis site. Do this outside. During the process you will be giving off pure oxygen and pure hydrogen. Hydrogen will explode and oxygen will greatly promote a fire’s burn.

Used this back when I used to ride, worked great. Will also prevent it from rusting again on the inside.

[quote=“JayS,post:4,topic:36450"”]

Just a warning, since it wasn’t posted on the electrolysis site. Do this outside. During the process you will be giving off pure oxygen and pure hydrogen. Hydrogen will explode and oxygen will greatly promote a fire’s burn.

[/quote]

Sounds like I need a balloon and torch :slight_smile:

I have an anodizing lab set up, so I’ll give the electrolysis a go. Depending how that turns out, I’ll try some of the products.

bb’s+gas+a paint shaker+2hours= clean if not redo until clean

[quote=“Anonymity,post:7,topic:36450"”]

bb’s+gas+a paint shaker+2hours= clean if not redo until clean

[/quote]

Can I just hold the tank and do the hokey pokey?

[quote=“Schema,post:8,topic:36450"”]

Can I just hold the tank and do the hokey pokey?

[/quote]

if you would like, then post up on utube and be cool.

i would rather hear what the bb’s and the paint shaker sounds like.

so your saying to leave gas in the tank? while shakeing? sounds a little dangerous.

Electrolysis is the best and easiest. There is no special shit you need, just a battery charger.

I would seal it with POR-15 afterwards. Proven product.

[quote=“RedrRocket,post:10,topic:36450"”]

i would rather hear what the bb’s and the paint shaker sounds like.

so your saying to leave gas in the tank? while shakeing? sounds a little dangerous.

[/quote]

small amount, 3-4 cups, and i put a rag for a gas cap… nick you silly fella.