Cleaning valve cover for paint......

Im going to paint my valve cover tonight but I dont know what to use to clean it? It is already stripped so its just the bare aluminum but what should I use to clean it of the little oil that is on it? I was thinking carb cleaner first and then use soap and water.

This is the process Im going to use to paint it but theres not specifics on how to clean it:

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthr…ng+Valve+cover

Also, should I use self etching primer or any primer when using a Krinkle Paint?

preps all you can buy it from autozone/advance auto or any other wax/grease remover will work, do not use household cleaners theres a good chance paint will not stick

clean with paint thinner, or gasoline. you want something to take away the oils from your hands, but something that will flash dry fast. acetone would be ideal, or lacquer thinner.

he said its stripped already he wants to know what to use to final clean it which would be pres all or wax and grease remover you could possibly get away with mineral spirits but do not use gasoline or laquor thinner

you’re a fucking retard. lacquer thinner is better than paint thinner because it’s got a faster flash time. you want to wipe away oils from your hands but don’t want the solvent to be on the surface longer than necessary, acetone is ideal, lac. thinner is next best, then paint thinner.

K I have some lac. thinner so ill use that. Thanks

I had oil and grease all over my valve covers

I just degreased the shit out of them, and they came out pretty good

Couple coats of low gloss black without primer. Seems to me they came out pretty good, anyway hope this helps.

you got lucky, the reason you wipe with a hot solvent is so that the oil from your hands is cleaned up. what will happen is you’ll get pinholes in your finish from the paint seperating from the oil on the metal. on metal it’s pinholes, on most other surfaces it’s a bit more drastic, which is where the term fish-eye comes from.

:word:

:word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word: :word:

your both idiots do you see people wipeing cars down with gas or laquor thinner before paint? no they use wax and grease remover aka preps all

^ LOL!

EDIT: Gas would work fine… If it turned out like shit, just do it again, its not really a big deal here.

im an ase cert painter…lac thinner FTW

wtf do you think preps all is man? we’re talking bare metal here, not paint. obviously you’d use something different for paint over paint. preps all is just weak lacquer thinner. not that i need to flash credentials to you of all people, but i’ve managed a specialty paint store for the last 2 years, where 30% of my business is to folks who spray solvent based coatings.

youre an idiot and u dont know what the fuck u are talking about… refrain from posting in this thread

Missed the primer part…

Read the back of the can, i’ve never used krinkle paint. i would imagine an etching primer would be best but double check the krinkle paint can.

acetone>*

Shutup Speedped79 :gtfo:

w/e let me see you prep a car with gasoline and see it come out good

:picard:

go kill yourself or find a retard forum that will accept you :zong: