Clever Construction = Fast, Easy, and No Bullsh!t...

I’m the type of person that prefers to do things themselves, for themselves, when it comes to projects. It’s the quality of work and the completeness of work as main driving factors. Not how big my pecker is, which is huge.

To cap off my dining room project I had the main window replaced by Sobo and Clever Construction. The girth of the window is what forced me to look at hiring someone…

Before:

Sobo and crew hard at work…

Finished product:

I wish my joints came out half this good…

A few things to note:

• Sobo was very professional; worked around my schedule to setup a appointment.
  • Provided me literature on what is available.
  • Gave me a suggestion based on what my goals were with the house.
  • Kept in contact about order status.
  • Firmed the install date once Window was in hand (Probably the most important…I hate “fixed” dates without even having the materials/parts…etc).
  • Works with a crew that actually works…had the window out in 10 minutes.
  • Quality of work is excellent. Pulled out all the old insulation and replaced rather than just stuffing in new where it would fit.

What did the job cost me…? Well, it was worth every penny to me.

:tup: to Sobo and Clever Construction…!

I HIGHLY recommend them and I will be using them in the future.

Thanks Alex.

Thanks for the kind words Luke!

Everything went off without a problem. Super quick install done correctly, that window should serve you well for quite some time. Make sure to clean the it every one and a while to keep it looking brand new, caulk likes to get dirty after the first year.

Enjoy it!

Side Note - my personal experience; Compliments on good work do NOT come easy from Luke, so that means you did a HELL of a job on this window!

Looks terrific, I got to stop by soon and see it.

And Luke’s pecker is huge…it’s like a baguette…

how much did this end up costing?

No problem. It already made a difference as far as sound and draft. What a difference…

Thanks!

I see soooooo many corners cut ALL the time in home improvement jobs and it really deters me from outside contractors. Thankfully this was not the case.

Absolutely, come on over.

I love French bread!!!

Cost of the window was a few hundred dollars less than the lower “quality” window from HD and Lowes. I can’t really get into specifics on price because it was a “custom” job. If you are thinking about a job have sobo quote it…Hope that helps.

:tup:

I’m still debating between doing my windows myself and having them done. A good friend of mine is having a contractor buddy of his do all his west facing windows in a couple weeks and invited me over to watch the process of a professional doing it. I DIY’d replacing a french door with a sliding patio door a few years ago and it came out great so I’ll probably end up doing it myself, but if I don’t I’ll keep sobo in mind when I’m getting quotes.

I have the same size window in my living room. Depending on when that project starts I plan on replacing that window as well…and will be calling sobo again.

Looks Good! :tup:

I’ll be buying a house probably in the spring/early summer, so I’ll keep you guys in mind for repair work.

I had sobo do my windows and I am very happy with the finished product. :tup

Looks good.

Now to hijack… Whats the best way to replace rotted frames after the exterior aluminum trip failed on casement windows and let them rot into nonexistance?
Note, Maintaining your caulk is of high importance.

Window frames or actual framing framing?

If it’s just the window frame, just get a full window and replace it. If it’s House Framing, you gotta cut the drywall back to find solid wood and replace the rotted stuff. I had to do the 2nd on my old house… was “fun” to say the least.

I agree… :slight_smile:

It all depends. If it’s a replacement window that we are talking about, your best bet would be to replace the window and do a knock out (removal of the original frame down to the 2x4’s).

If it’s the original window you could possibly get away with a replacement window.

If it’s the framing of your house… well, that’s a corner you would turn while the window was being replaced. Majority of window openings are not structural so technically speaking if you remove the source of water and stop any further damage, you could just get away with capping over it.

It all depends on your budget and situation really.

Careful doing them yourself. Once you order custom windows, you own em. Also need to leave a little room for adjustment. Too tight is dangerous.

Truth.

It’s not as easy as it may seem, there is a reason people like me are in this business. Mismeasured windows could mean you are in for one headache of an install or even worse, out thousands of dollars. I am constantly sending my crew into fix home owner installed windows. That being said, It is not impossible! If you do decide to do them yourself, at least contact me for the proper way to measure and install.

I have to second and third everything said about doing them yourself. I did 3 windows in my house with Luke and my Dad, and it was an adventure… Took 2 LONG days to get the old ones out, all the rotted house framing replaced, the holes re-sized (Used the closest stock /custom size windows in a custom 1939 brick house… had to make the openings fit the windows); and get the outside trim on (Used the Vinyl trim instead of folded Aluminum). Then it was another long time to get the inside of the windows done seeing they all required extension jams and new trim work.

Would I do it myself again… probably just because I’m a stickler about details. But that being said… I also trust Luke’s judgement more than just about anyone else, so if he says Sobo/Clever does good work, that means I’d trust them to work on my stuff.

Thats pretty much what I figured. Most of the windows are not in to bad of shape, but they are extremely drafty. The impression I have is that it was an entire house in one day type job. Much like the siding on top of siding. At least I closed up the 1/2" gap that was left when they shimmed my house off the foundation wall. Who cared about a basement in 1956 anyway.

My wife thinks I procrastinate, but I just do not want to investigate all my rabbit holes of home repair. Every project I start always starts another. I’m pretty sure that wall will be in rough shape as there is a water stain in the downstairs ceiling :frowning:

Edit: How do you find manufacturer info on windows?

Thanks for the offer, but how to properly measure them was one of the things my friend George’s contractor buddy said he would go over with me when he was doing the install at George’s house.

My plan right now is to take what I learn next week and tackle one by myself this spring and make a decision from there. If it completely goes to hell I’m out one window and hire a pro to do them all. If it goes ok I actually enjoy doing home improvement stuff like this myself and wouldn’t mind saving the money of a DIY.

Work looks excellent, Sobo what window company(s) do you work with?