Clunking sound

I have an S14 and when I turn the steering to the right, I hear
this clunking sound. Sounds like it’s coming from the front pass.
side. It usually happens when the car has been parked for a period
of time. It may also be happening when I’m driving and I just don’t
feel it. Anybody else had this happen to them?

does it also sound like something is broken? or like a slgith almost grinding noise? because my altima has the same problem and the guy said that theres something broken in the steering joint? or something like that all i can say is get it checked and dont drive too fast untill you do , you dont wanna be messing around with the steering

It could be a few things. Bad bearing on the strut tower. Ball Joint, Tie Rod, or Steering U-joint.

I have a similar problem, but i’ve narrowed it down to the ball joint. I put a new rack in, u-joint, and tie rods. Struts and bearings are new too. So it only leaves ball joint.

You need to get it fixed or risk having REALLY sloppy steering and thats totally unsafe. Don’t belive me? come drive mine.

Blackapple:
how much $$ have you spent so far and how many kms do you
have on your ride?

that happens with my front strut becacause you need to tighten it a certain way when it is reinstalled, turn the top bolt until it gets snug then have someone hold the strut with a wrench and then tighten the top nut again

My car has 220000km, i picked it up at 180000. The steering was bad then, Km really have nothing to do with how a car is or runs, it’s how well it was taken care of. My daily driver has half the Km of my “parts car” and it’s a POS, the parts car is mint.
I’ve spent $300 in total on the other car, it was mint and get all my parts from it(best investment i ever made!). So the rack came from there, along with a diff, tranny, driveshaft, head, etc…
The tie rods were $20 a peice, and i belive the ball joints are $40 each. It’s not hard to replace them yourself, just have a big hammer ready to get them out. The proper spliter tool helps too.

It could be

1. Loose or broken exhaust parts.

2. Loose or broken shock absorbers or mounts.

3. Loose strut mounts.

4. Loose, worn, or broken motor and/or transmission mounts.

5. Worn engine bearings.

6. Broken engine parts.

7. Loose or missing flywheel mounting bolts.

Either of these will do the job. I think it is the bearing. When u turn if it does that it is normally the bearing. Not 100% sure. It could be the stabalizer bar.

Guess I’m driving the car too hard. I only have 100,000 km’s on it.
I’m thinking it’s ball joints or tie rods too. At least that’s what it sounds
like. Maybe it’s my driving cause this happened to my supra too.

IIRC the ball joint comes with a new LCA… I had to do mine recently…

only if you buy at nissan.

Could be the sway bar bushings even… or perhaps the stiffener ( ? ) (the piece attatched to the LCA and frame)

It honestly sounds like to me the upper strut mount perch bearing is shot.

Ball joints!!!

It’s the bushings. Can’t remember what they are called though.