clutch question sort of urgent

theres a bangin deal on a clutch i wanna buy, the guys sellin it brand new for 250$ shipped and its a 500$ clutch, its a clutchmasters stage IV, my cars gonna be on the street and he told me his was too which is the reason he didnt wanna use it

heres his description

this clutch comes with a new pressure plate, and bolts up to a '95 style flywheel. as far as I know, the pedal effort is not increased. the only issue I have with running it on the street is that it has an unsprung hub. there are no damper springs on the clutch plate. it is simply a plate of steel with splines and clutch material bolted to it. so once the clutch is released, it’s fully engaged. I am afraid I’ll twist my input shaft right off, the way I like to speed shift.

here is the website https://specclutch.com/ put in 1995 dodge neon and you’ll locate the stage 4. there is a link on the page that you get to from selecting dodge neon 1995 that has clutch descriptions / specs.

idk much about clutches and things being engaged n input shafts etc, so from what it says what do you guys think

Why do you want it?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t unsprung clutches a real bitch to drive?

well cause my cars boosted and it will be tuned at 20psi approx 350WHP thats the goal, and 2nd I have no idea if its a bitch thats why i am asking you guys!

well, The only car I’ve driven with an unsprung hub was todas old hatch. He had a light weight flywheel which also made it a bit trickier. I personally run a six puck sprung hub and it’s super streetable, no probs in rush hour inching up traffic. When I drove todas car, it was a bit tricky at first but not too bad once you get used to it. It would probably be a bitch in the situation described above. It really is kinda off/on feeling and you won’t have the smoothest take offs all the time in regular traffic. It all depends on what you personally like…my race car is my race car and it can feel like shit in traffic I don’t care. For a DD, I’d personally dislike driving with an unsprung hub. Race goodies are all trade offs. So think about what’s more important to you, then decide.

For example, I personally hate solid/race motor mounts for a DD. Too loud and harsh feeling. But I also can’t stand stock mushy mounts. So I just fill em with window weld or get poly inserts and it feels just right.

Somethings weird here. Spec and Clutchmasters are two different companies.

sry i meant spec just wrote fast thought of somthing else

neonglh had a spec clutch. ask him what his results were. i didnt think they were the best though.

Brian

Spec has a decent reputation but I would not recommend an unsprung disc. Don’t buy it.

well thats 2/2 on unsprung discs being shitty, fuck it then thats all i needed to know =)

i agree, i had an unsprung spec and it sucked. My 6 puck spring clutchnet>3puck unsprung spec

I hate sprung clutches i run a iron disk unsprung with a 2300lbs pressure plate in my car everyday and love it.

another vote here for hating unsprung clutches…

My triple plate Carbon/Carbon is Unsprung, no issues.

Spec makes some nice clutches. However, I know TONS of Viper’s have had issues with the Stage 4, and most everyone runs the 3+.

you will never get a direct answer which is better on this forum.

Lets put it this way ive run low end and high end sprung and unsprung clutches. Even if i had a stock car it would prob have an unsprung 6 puck in it because i like the way they feel over another clutch. And also i love the clutch in my car for track and everyday driving but when i ordered it the salesmen tried to talk me out of it because he said most ppl think of it to be undrivable. Soo your just going to have to try something and hope you like it lol. Or possibly try driving ppls cars with similar set ups.

its harder to drive a 3 puck sprung than a 6 puck unsprung imo, the number of pucks (or lack thereof) seems to make more of a difference in driveability… at least imo.

It’s not like you’re trying to put down 800 HP in a 4000lb car. I’m sure you can find a sprung clutch that will hold 350 in a light car. And I’m guessing it’s FWD besides, so that means your tires will most likely slip before your clutch anyway.

What JayS said is very true but it all comes down to drivers preference. I think you should find someone who has an unsprung setup and drive it and see what you think. Unsprung is more of a chore IMO but its more of a drivers experience. I personally like unsprung and after a week or two you will learn how to drive it so it wont bother you at all. I have heard both good and bad as far as SPEC goes but hey its the internet. I personally run a SPEC setup and have had great results with it.

I sent you a PM, and since I have ton’s of experience with your setup, and the clutches you mention, I say, go clutchnet. Spec just blew away for me ~ 290 whp. SRT clutch milled to fit the 1g bellhousing blew away. The clutchnet I bought held up to anything. Everyone who runs it can flat shift every gear, 7k dump, make 500 whp, and it never slips once. Its the best solution, the only solution, for a high horsepower 1g neon without going with a much more expensive twin disk clutch.

If price is a huge factor, you can skimp now, but thats what I did, and I ended up doing 3 clutch jobs in my car before I got one that lasted.

–mark

dude, who cares if they clutches are any good. Just get one so you can talk to them on the phone.:stuck_out_tongue: