Clutch Suggestions

Have heard good things about Exedy Hyper Single, but only from one person lol. Any other suggestions. Looking at mid 400whp, so ~350tq. I want the car as streetable as possible. Will see some track time, but more street than anything. Have looked into SPEC 3+ and Competition Clutch(Stg.5 installed currently, failed) Another suggested Clutchnet, but I have found alteast as many neg reviews as good. Really leaning towards the SPEC with new OEM flywheel. What do the bros on here run?

i have a new exedy in the subaru and it’s nice and an oem/act mix in the s2k (also new) i really like

what car?

Everyone says spec sucks, but most of those people havnt actually used them.

match the PP and clutch type to the driving expectations. Companies dont matter for anything other than quality of the part. I have installed and run Spec, Clutchnet, Exedy, sachs, etc. None came apart, they did their jobs… just some were not right for the car, but they were what the customer wanted so i didnt have much say in that.

For '06 Si turbo, you made the dp lol. Most of the reviews of the SPEC 3+ on similar setups were pretty positive. Exedy Hyper Single seems to have decent reviews too, just that it wears out faster than others. I know a lot of these guys tend to be backyard mechanics so I take all the opinions with a grain of salt. Fucking Honda guys lol

Spec sucks :lol

ACT!

ohh yeah that civic!

you wont get me going STEVEN… I wont give in

south bend clutch dxd. i would not use any other clutch. the peddle feel is close to stock daily drives nice and holds a shit ton of power . The on in my z is rated for 650lbs/ft torque. Plus the are mode to order. not sitting on someones shelf

I have seen some QC issues with spec, they really aren’t too much different than competition though. The exedy hyper single is a great clutch but I would definitely not use that for a turbo street car it’s not a good choice for that application. ACT and clutch masters are good. I would pick something that is as least aggressive as possible to hold the power, the 6 spd gearbox is pretty fragile on those.

straightcutgearsftw

91240Stevo was that a serious +1 to ACT or no? lol Im sure you driftbros go through some clutches. Whats the consensus from Slide guys?

Looked at South Bend’s site, they dont offer any clutch for Civic newer than 2005. And I would love to do straight cut gears, but want to see what I actually have at this point. Have yet to drop the tranny, just trying to get all my parts(ducks) in a row first. Supposed to have been a flip car, probably going to make a monster… :facepalm 93 Gsr Civic hatch 3076r and auto 190e for sale though!

clutchmasters.
i LOVE my fx300. the pressure plate is softer (not slightly stiffer like the site will say) and grabs real nice.
/thread

Call south bend. They will be help you. The ones that answer the phone are the ones that build the clutches.

My clutch is a full face sprung disk rated at 650 torque.

I’ve had a spec clutch, never had any problems with it. Beat on it a lot because I was pretty young, pretty dumb. I’ve also had an excedy with the same results. Neither was any sort of hardcore race clutch, just barely an upgrade over oem, both were good though. Only two I have experience with.

Have zero experience with the honda market but I have had some bad apple SPEC’s come out of cars before. ACT’s lineup works well with most import selections I’ve installed. About all I can offer here.

How much are you looking to spend I guess would be my question, because if you ask me what a good clutch is I’m gonna send you to the likes of RPS or something and call it a day.

You won’t ever catch me putting a SPEC in anything ever again. Southbend or bust. ANy additional expense incurred buying good parts can be considered advance savings in not having to do it twice.

i’ve never used spec myself but i know for the s2k they are complete garbage. thread after thread about them being junk

how so, and every failure no matter the company or component must take alot into consideration as to what happened, especially a clutch. Its all too easy for some meathead putting a 300ftq clutch behind a 500tw VR6 turbo vw, who cheaped out on the clutch, probably the install too, was spec’d (no pun intended) wrong for the app and might not be able to drive all to well either for one to let go, post some pics and a “I HATE SPEC” thread on vortex and then all the euro sheep jump on the bandwagon.

Improper design for the build, improper use, contamination, improper install and/or unmatched flywheel for the PP&disk, quality control failures.

IMO thats the order of most probable to least probable for what caused ANY clutch to fail.

The first spec clutch I put in broke the center hub off the disc in a matter of hours after being driven. When removed it was clear to see that the pins were hourglass shaped and was a total QC flaw. Spec warrantied it in a heart beat.

did they send one revised or identical? and i assume that one worked fine?