Coated Headers

Does anyone have coated headers? I’m trying to think if its really worth the money to have them coated.

Yes there worth it in the long run .

i got some headers i was gonna spray with plastidip so i could change colors every year

lol.

I think we have covered this topic thoroughly in the past. Let me find some of the more insightful information about it and I’ll make a sticky for it.

The heat is lower , no rot , look better .

Actually was going to ask about this too. Is a exhaust thermal wrap better/keeps temps lower under hood, than a coating?

Wrapping can void many manufactures warranties due to moisture getting trapped in the wrap and rotting the metal. Also wrapping can pose a fire threat if leaking oil soaks into it.

But it does the job as far as cooling engine bay temps.

Also on the subject of coating a lot of DSM guys are saying this is the newest greatest thing.
http://www.ffwdconnection.com/exhaustcoating.shtml I haven’t ever seen it in person so I couldn’t tell you but their sales pitch is great.

the regular fiberglass exhaust wrap is flammable. the titanium wrap that dei makes is supposed to be resistant to oil

stuff looks like its good shit… you watch car guys will be ordering this shit to color match their car/ engine bays

dude lol your sig

shh someone will get offended and the gov’t will try to ban it

Wrapping a header works for the cheapness of it . But it does void warrantees and a lot of times put on wrong and don’t help . The coating works same temp reduction don’t absorb oil , don’t rot , looks better than a rusty header etc . Personally I run the uncoated cause my car don’t see salt , I’m Cheep and the cost can go into other things lol , I do have a section of mine wrapped due to my fuel lines being close but even that shit is coming off .

I’m thinking about ordering them now even if im not planning on installing because Kooks is raising there prices in march I believe.

Is header coating just powder coat that anyone powder coats can do?

I did a search and nothing specific came up so I just decided to make a thread.

WTF :rofl

yea, I just did the same. I remember having a discussion on it but I’m not sure where it is on here.

Basically it goes like this:

-For durability and insulation swaintech>all

-for moderate durability and insulation powdercoating style ceramic is good
http://cdn.nexternal.com/vacmotors/images/JET-EH-M50-L.JPG

-For good insulation without too many negative side effects go with a corrugated aluminum heat sheild:

-If you just want some temporary insulation but potentially at the cost of accelerated corrosion go with the wrap:
http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/images/C/Exhaust%20Exhaust%20Wrap.jpg

that swain coating is the shit…very durable for heat. people get pistons coated for nitrous motors. ive personally seen a nitrous motor melt down due to heat and the swain coating saved the motor from major machine work.

The coating kooks runs is a ceramic coating sort of like powdercoated but is shiny and more durable .

That’s a completely different coating used for getting really low friction. They have a number of “performance” coatings that are not all just for insulation.

Sounds just like Jet hot. The #2 of what what I posted above.

Marylandspeed is offering free coating on Kooks long tubes.

yeh its jet hot