coilover education

Dodge pot-holes.

temperature affects pressure so you definitely want to have them off before it’s cold outside.

…There is no such thing as an ideal system, it really depends on the application…

…being a hydro-mechanical device, the damper eventually wears out…

…accept the fact that any hydro-mechanical device MUST wear out…

…The only issue is how long it takes one damper to wear versus another.The answer to this is almost directly proportional to the money spent…

that link is awsome! thanks! it basically states you get what you pay for! and of course its common sense! no one makes a superior quality item at inferior quality prices…!! thats why brand name stuff costs what it costs! so Tein here i come!!

That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. Have you ever seen American Gangster? Twice the quality at half the price.

By the way, Tein is not the best quality and like Bing’s said, their after purchase support sucks ass.

it isnt that Teins service sucks ass its that it isnt suited for a Canadian.

The same is true of Silkroad and Cusco.

Cusco’s authorised Canadian dealer is BC auto, i havent dealt with them in years but i know that several years ago when i was in California i was talking to a Cusco rep with Alberto from Dirft Nation. Even teh guys in Cali knew there were issues up here in Canada but couldnt get around it.

IF you have issues with Tein they do not have any Canadian office. If you lived around the corner from them you wouldnt have a problem.

So if you buy Tein coilovers and you blow a damper next year or bend a part you have to ship your shit back to Tein and then order the individual components at inflated cost.

For Silkroad they want like $650+ per corner… no thanks.

If you buy Megan or K-Sport or Stance you have myself, Sasha, Varun or Intense to go to for support. WE can order individual components and parts for you. With Stance, the guys that work at Touge Factory are on ZT, Zilvia etc. they are younger guys with cars just like ours and they speak ENGLISH!!!..

like when you call up they say HELLO!! not HAAARRO!!

i called 5Zigen last week and got the latter…

HHAHAHHA!! thats funny!

ok very valid point… about the serviceability… but then again… what are the chances that they will break first time out!? much much less then lower quality no name stuff… correct? i think Tein thinks ahead and builds their coilovers stronger then they have to just to avoid this kinda stuff… where as cheap stuff are built shitty and break easy but no big deal cause its peanuts to replace it anyways! but what do i know!

Well have you personally dealt with Tein? I dunno what people are talking about , I havent had a problem with there customer service so far and same with the guys I talk to at JRP, like definately there service has changed like what BING said, perhaps the service was shit back in the day cuz they had no competition but now there pretty good. Just ask the guys at JRP. but w/e right, those who hate will continue to hate and those who love will keep lovin

i’ll vouch for the megan tracks. haven’t tried the streets but honestly, if this is your first pair, i’d definitely go with a set that i could buy locally in person and have service in person as well. i have tracks and have no complaints at all. if you plan to mod cars for awhile, i’ll guarantee you’ll be buying another set in the future so why not start off with something that’ll give you the most support, and with features that are on par with its competitors? but either way, most importantly, if you don’t know how different features between a range of coils will feel sensory wise when you start altering settings, i’d just go for the most commonly used set on our cars. i’m recommending either megan streets or if you want to go stance, the GR+…just make sure you get pillowballs.

How are the Stance GR+ or GR+ pro coilovers compared to stock everything on a HICAS S13 with the “handling package” lol? I mean ride quality wise…we’ve got a lot of potholes here…also most people lower their cars after coilovers, how is that for practicality? (speedbumps, potholes, driveways, cold weather&shocks, snow…)

These are some of the questions I bet most people are wondering about when planning on getting coilovers. I have done a lot of forum surfing and research, but hearing about multiple experiences is the best way to go for me.

I’d really like to ride in a car with these, I think thats the best way to tell since ride quality and handling are such a subjective matters.

I hope this isn’t considered a threadjack…I’m really only trying to contribute to “coilover education”

If your looking to have prime suspension control coilovers are just the start,
You should buy the book called (how to make your car handle, By Fred Puhn) it covers everthing from highway, road course, drag, etc and comes with practical data formulas and instructions for only $30 well worth it. IMO

see , im more of a hands on learner… nothing beats the experiance you get from trial and error! reading a book about it is just a waste of time… a book cant show you what or how your suspension is supposed to feel… you have to feel it yourself. besides since comfort is so subjective what feels good to puhn might feel like jagged rocks to others! just my opinion!

^^Sure, but the book helps you avoid the error part = helps save time and MONEY on any suspension upgrade! anyway just trying to help. (good luck with your upgrade)

My car is slammed in Montreal, if I can do it here, no one has any excuse in Ontario. lol

Ride is pretty good, just drive around potholes and go real slow on speed bumps.

I agree trial and error is good but when you’re spending 1000+ on something, it helps to be more educated about it instead of just doing whatever and losing in the end…

Anyways, stance is looking really good but im gonna try out megan racing as my first set and we’ll see what happens in the future…

I’ve heard that multiple adjustments on height and dampening can cause them to seize. Also, just winter in general can cause them to seize.

Any input on the implications of winter?

Winter will cause you to blow dampers faster than Jenna Jameson’ll blow Ron Jeramy