coilover education

There is nothing wrong with Megan coilovers, they are good value as Varun suggested.

the primary difference between the GR+ or Pro from Stance is the inverted front dampers on the Stance making them far more resistant to bending as opposed to Megan street & track and some of the K-sports. there are other benefits with an inverted damper it but i’m no guru on the subject. I beleive Stance is the least expensive inverted damper coilover available. I use them on my car, with the new camber top plates and love them. Bobby and Chriss from S1DC use them and Sasha Anis from SG uses Stance on his 350x roadster and on his championship winning S14… btw, that S14 had the bad camper plates too…

the camber plate issue was a manufacturing error where the bearing was essentially too big for it’s seat making it load and harsh. Stance will replace these for free, but as Jon said, he has had badluck with each new bearing.

The reason people hate on K-Sport is that D2 ruined the reputation by releasing shitty coilovers a few years ago and eroded the brand. Everyone still knows D2 and K-Sport are the same. And while i have not heard any similar issues with K-Sport as people had with the D2’s years ago the reflection on the product is still there.

the most important part of your coilover purchase should be the support you recieve after you buy them.

fortunately for SON there are authorised dealers for Stance, Megan and K-sport all in this thread and on this forum.

Buying something that you dont get the same kind of support with should something go wrong would be a bigger mistake.

no one buys Tein or JIC anymore.

What problem was it that you had?
I’ve had stance coilovers for about a year so I’m curious if I should be worried about something.

How would one know if you have these bad bearings?

I’m just curious as to how many people that said stance coilovers are really good actually have them?

Or are you guys just saying it to make yourself feel better cause you’re thinking about purchasing a set of stance coilovers for yourselves?

It will make a popping sound everytime you turn in low speeds.

The spring is basically popping and moving when it really shouldn’t be, since the pillowball should be moving instead.

Its easy to inspect, just undo the 3 top bolts on the strut and bring the coilover down…and see if you can rotate the camber plate by hand.

If you can’t do it fairly easily, then you have a bad camber plate.

Other things that you may notice is that you may have some memory steer…

megans are champ. i have been running these things for two years now. no problems at all. plus the apexi n1’s are made in the same factory.

samson and i both have them

ANd I have thenm.

How about lewtz and japdrifter?

Its funny how every one thinks their coilovers are the best… Fobwall was right in his post about people biggin up they’re coilovers to make themselves feel better about their purchases!
I guess in the end it boils down to how much money you are willing to spend… and how much of a gambling man you are… the cheaper you go, the more you put on the line (ie. time, money, your car!)…if you go with the better brand… the Tried Tested and True brand… you have a better chance of not regreting your purchase. everyone knows Brand Power is better its a well known fact! Thats it!
Thats just my opinon whether anyone cares or not, i dont know. just dont cheap out on something as critical as suspension!

mark u slut,

i never have purchased and installed a set personally. However, I have been in a car with stance coilovers installed and i was impressed with the ride. Furthermore, all the reviews ive read about stance (which were alot) have nothing but good things to say about them. Simply put, they are awesome for the price. Thats why they are so popular.

Im prolly gunna end up running megans, since theyre just as good as my teins. Also, stance coils are hard to find used, and buying them GR Pro’s new is out of my budget.

fuck you.

get bottled.

you’re not invited to my birthday party.

yeahhh brand power…
technically megan vs ksport vs stance… these are not high name brands…
in terms of performance value asking us the buyer feedback is good… but sometimes it may be biased becuz they paid the good money for it. or havnt used it to the same potentials… if u can get information of its durability by test charts from the company that wuld be a more standard comparison…

for example …if i bought d2’s(lowend coil) i wuld say their the bestestest until it broke on me or if i felt the dampening was slow or watever else the problem maybe… just a example lol

personally i dont have stance but i am biased and bing speech is good lol i recommend it lol…

oh and my coilovers are the BESTESTESTEST i big up myself RAWRRRRR

Honestly, I like them, I don’t have much experience, but this is still my second set of coilovers.

The first ones I had were Kei Office and they had 9/7 springs…or maybe even harder, but the Stance with 8/6 ride MUCH better.

The handling difference is not as clear cut because I have installed other mods at the same time as the Stance, including 8/9J wheels instead of 7J, TC rods instead of poly bushings and poor man’s Nismo power brace. But with all these mods and the Stance coils, the car had the very similar body roll then the Kei (which is very little) and is very predictable (the Kei made the car a little snappy).

The reason I went with the Stance is because like Bing’s said, it’s one of the cheapest model whcih offers inverted fronts, which i wanted cause it’s a cool sounding gizmo and because you can buy any part individually so they should last for as long as the company is in business and cause the company is right next door, not across the world.

ouch. i carry and buy Tein, and fob i had the Tein Basic Dampers on my 97 eclipse and even with the basics i was very impressed by the feel and comfort. Your right it is a battle of brands but Tein has always been one of the most undisputed trusted companies.

^^^ until you need to get parts or a rebuild…

i know Tein has come around but before all this competition came along they were not easy to deal with. like $400+ to rebuild a damper, not being able to buy individual components etc.

it’s a case in point for the industry as a whole. They took the market for granted, didnt service it properly and now cant get back the market share they lost to the new comers because their service in the past left much to be desired.

i would personally not run tein or JIC on my car for most parts, but especially coilovers…

JIC uses rod ends on their multi-link that are only slightly better than teh china-link whored all over ebay… it’s sorta gross actually

Good thread i was going to be asking some of these same questions…adding coilovers before the summer comes if everything goes rite…and i know nothing about the adjustments offered ect so …good post!

the range of adjustment, spring rates etc. etc. are all essentially the same… all coilovers have adjustable camber plates, adustable lower brackets, adjustable damping etc. etc.

most of your damper questions will probably have an answer here:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/default.asp?page=/faqshocks01.htm

all of their faq’s are pretty solid so there’s your coilover education.

not all have the adjustable lower brackets iirc

Sweet, lots of info…

More questions aha, what are common problems for coilovers and are there any ways to avoid them. I want them to last a while, so are there certain bad life lesson experiences anyone has had with them that they can share to prevent me from making the same mistakes? I plan on taking them off for the winter, is it worth doing this?

Also, i know a few people that got used sets that still work fine with no problems, is that generally the case when buying used or have you guys had problems?

Thanks again, this is really helpful.