coilovers how rough is your ride?

I just bought a set of used Tein HR coilovers and the ride is rough I mean really rough.The car handles like its on rails but man its hard on the back.I am just wondering what you guys are running and how the ride is??

its hard to say really - its all personal taste.

Hurricane on here thinks my megans streets were back breaking and I couldnt handle how soft they were so i went and bought megan tracks (12/10 spring rates) for street use… havent driven on them yet but i think they should satisfy my craving for a rugged ride.

I had Kei Office 9/7 with 20mm of preload and hardest dampening on Montreal street and 95% of the time it was great. But all my passangers hated it.

N1 Pros, 9/7, full soft, feels like the rest of my suspension is going to break going over hard bumps.

one of the reasons I didn’t bother with coilovers is because of that… it’s way too rough on toronto streets. Besides, if your coilovers are too stiff, and you happen to run over a pot holes every now and then, something will break eventually… maybe not the coilovers, but other suspension parts will…

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t really see how having stiffer shocks/springs (a la coilovers) could put more stress on anything other than themselves and the strut towers where they mount? If anything, the rest of the suspension would have less stress from less movement - no?

Bob? :slight_smile:

lol…yup tell me about and i blew out a shock on coilovers driving in toronto streets, after that i had enough with coilovers and went with lowering springs

coilovers put more stress on ur frame and suspension components, my windshield has a pressure crack from coilovers and it stripped the thread on my toe link

the windshield i would understand because of the extra forces being applies to the strut towers… less of it is absorbed by the suspension… but i still dont see how they could put any extra stress on the rest of the suspension which basically just trails whatever the spindle is doing…

I have a feeling the thread on your toe link would have been stripped regardless of your shock/spring combo. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

… Bob? :slight_smile:

I’m running an 8/6 set up on D2’s. I love it untill I am on a crappy road.

It’s just the pot holes that I can’t stand.

Oh man, I would kill for Toronto streets!! You guys can’t say shit about your streets until you come ot Montreal!! haha

8/6 (with currently too much pre-load that I’ve dialed in) on smooth roads and highways are great! Driving on rough roads or over bumps and potholes is a pain in the ass…litteraly. I try my best to dodge them and if I cant I just tense up my back muscles and hope for the best :wink:

Ceratin downtown Toronto streets are almost impassable…Kingston road, Front Street, and parts of the 407 can be a pretty adventureous. :wink:

If you are that worried get some street oriented coilovers with softer valving and springs…I think Tein Basics have 5/3 or something to that note.

lol…try going up caldonia from st.clair to rogers there’s some sweet jumps there (napolian) or go down keele on the right lane

Ya so maybe there not as bad as I thought since everybody seems to be saying the same thing.I know you guys complain about the streets in T.O and Montreal but I can tell you one thing they are better then the east coast.I would give anything to have the roads in T.O so much smoother then here and Montreal arent to bad either.

I used to think my Kei Office 8/6 was too soft. But now after tracking it they appear to be stiffer. But recently I have noticed sounds coming from them, should I be worried?

My springs started making lots of whinning noises, I un-preloaded them, re-preloaded them and it went away.

today i was driving about 80 and hit a huge dip that i didnt see and my car bottomed out like woah felt soo good and sounded awesome.

8/6s

Think about it… when you get the coilovers, you also lower your car and you make it a lot stiffer… therefore the chasis will abosorbe more of the vibrations, all the control arms have have less travel, your toe & camber get way out of spec, etc…
so when you go over a pot hole at a decent speed, something might/will break eventually…
but being on a track with nice coilovers is a different story…

at least that’s how I see it…

Re: back pain

I found that the more you tensed for the bump, the more back pain you experience.

The one thing I love is having loose items in my trunk, when I drive over a large dip in the road, they sound like they get tossed up in the air…

lol, so I’ve been doing it all wrong! I’ll try the “go limp” method and see how it goes :wink:

While we’re on the subject does anyone else have noisy pillow ball mounts? My rear coilovers make annoying knocking noises over bumps…in the area around the top of the strut mounts. It sounds like I’ve got a midget in the trunk trying to punch his way out.