cold weather and battery

so my car is away for winter. i start it every day. i missed a day once and when i went out on the second day, it wouldnt start. it wont turn over, theres no electircal power either. could the cold winter weather have killed the battery that fast?

thanks

Matty

I don’t think the cold weather killed the battery, but I could be wrong.

I would say,

Did you leave any lights on?
Even the interior dome light?

I have my car in storage and I have been busy so rather then starting it every week for 20-30mins i have only been able to start it twice in the past 6 weeks. Each time it took an extra 1-2 secs to actually start because of the cold but sure enough it turned and started no problem.

Make sure you left all lights ff and jump start it, then leave it running for a while.

My car has been in the garage for a few weeks and I don’t start it more than once a week and it starts. My beater, on the other hands, as soon as it gets cold, needs a boost (oh the irony). Once its on there are no problems unless its cold and I leave it sitting at my work for over 4 hours. I just replaced the battery it seems to be working fine. I don’t think you drained it, it’s most likely due to the cold weather, given you don’t have a dry cell.

i left the headlights in the up position. first time owning a car with pop up lights. would that have killed it? cuz to my knowlegede, no interior lights were left on.

Batteries tend to get weaker with age, if you’re going to subject the car to the cold weather one way or the other, it’d be best to buy/have a new battery with a high CCA (cold cranking amps) rating and just replace it every 2-4 years as maintenance, ensuring the charging system is working well and there are no electrical leaks/drains.

Also, the colder it gets outside, the slower the car is going to turn over, that’s normal. If the battery is old or weak, at a certain temperature, it just may not have enough juice to fire up the car.

But yeah, with the basics ensured and from what you’ve said, i’d say get a new battery and if the problem persists it’s likely an electrical drain somewhere.

Good luck.

EDIT: Also take a look at http://www.son240sx.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16981

No this would not have, Is the battery boostable? If not you left your lights on and it has gelled, time for a new battery if not its just old.

anyway take it into CT put it in the tester and find out.

thanks for your help guys,
i appretiate it. im gunna check it out. my guess is thats its getting old as said. it certainly looks old.

matty