computer guys...

im looking at laptops right now, and this is what i dont get…

dell-pentium m 730, 1.6 gig
gateway-pentium 4 538 3.2 gig

all the other stuff is the same (1024mb ram, 40 gig HD)

whats the difference between these processors?
anything else i should be getting?

:eek3:

Pentium M has wireless built in. ill find out the other specs.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/quickreffam.htm

go get a dell

end discussion

dell + centrino prc = win

thats what i am rocking right now and its awesome… i have a latitude D610

Never had a Dell I wasn’t disappointed with. Although mine were desktops.

Get a Gateway.

Better warranty, and the screws don’t fall out of the bottom of it (unlike my girlfriend’s Inspiron and my friend’s Latitude).

this is what i just got. Very pleased

The Pentium M is made for laptops. Smaller, but designed to run like a regular processor (so even though it’s only 1.6Ghz, it’s comparable in speed to a desktop computer with, say a 2.8 GHz).

Get a Dell, go with the Latitude series, We have a Latitude D510 I think.

Also, here’s a hint. Sometimes the small-business division has better pricing on the laptops. You CAN order from the small-business division, just pretend that you have a sole-proprietorship. Give them your SSN as the Fed ID #, and they will run your credit and give you a “revolving Net 30” account (at an outrageous interest rate…) and you can pay anything you want per month, over the minimum of course ($30 is our minimum, and we got a $1,300 laptop). Make it (your name here) Enterprises as your “company name”.

i’m rocking a pentium M 1.8

mpc >

is this true?

I have a compaq n800v 2ghz, 512mb ram, dvd/cdrw, wireless. HP and Compaq have been good to me over the years as far as laptops are concerned. My little sister had a dell that ran great for the 4 years she had it while in school. Just get something with a decent warranty and you really can’t go wrong.

it is not true that M has wireless b uilt in

i’m working on a machine without wireless… however it has a board socketed installation… so it doesn’t take up a slot.

I didn’t think so

the ‘mobile’ part of the system is more so for power conservation.

:doh:

learn something everyday i suppose

I’ve used Dell’s from back in the P2/P3 days as well as EM64T. All great desktops, and their support has been pretty darn good here at work.

Personally, I have a Dell Latitude C610 (P3, something like 2 generations ago) and it’s been a great little laptop. No complaints with Dell products in general.

No experience with anything Gateway…

i still rock out a Dell Latitude P2 366mHz

and its awesome