connect x box 360 w/o wireless adapter

ok hopefully someone can give me some guideance. my son bought a x box 360 we want to hook it up trough his laptop(internet) so he doesnt have to buy the $100.00 adapter. we’ve connected the ethernet cable from the lap top to the x box but when we test it it shows the network is ok but it wont connect to the internet.(yet the laptop works internet anyway) instructions say to bridge the local and wreless connection which we cant seam to do. any thoughts?
i would go buy him an wireless adapter, but unfortunately my pc is out getting fixed so i cant get my wep key anyway. damn i wish i knew more about this stuff. Pleaae help an old geezer out.

you can reset your router by holding the reset button. That will erase your WEP key.

Have you tried bridging the internet connection? I’ve only done this once during school.

What OS, xp, vista, 7, or 7 starter(if it’s a netbook)? I do this a lot when I go to my cousins place. With XP the only way to get it to work was to bridge them. I got it to work with ICS on my normal laptop with 7, but MS took ICS and bridging out of windows 7 starter for whatever reason.

to go from the pc directly to the X-box you will need a crossover cable, and then you can bridge the connection. otherwise you can use a switch, and go from the laptop to the switch then from the switch to the x-box with the connections bridged.

its vista and i realize i need to bridge the connection thats where the problem lies. i cant get the two to bridge. i cant click on both, right clicking on each shows bridge, but it doesnt do anything. How do i choose both to bridge?

hold control then click both, then right click. or click and drag to select both then right click one.

why dont you just run the xbox to the router directly? if you have fios the wep key should be on the router

That and my router is pretty far from where the x box is and i dont want a cable running thru the whole house

On a modern laptop(last 5 years or so) you DO NOT need a crossover cable, it will do it automatically. Gl@re hit it on the nose with how to make the bridge.

why not run the wire directly to the router?

EDIT READING COMPREHENSION… lol.

good luck… i just hardwired it to the router.

ahhh i see what youre trying to do. wirelessly to the laptop, then wired to the xbox. i have no advice for you