Wireless "gaming" adapter with PC?

I figured I could swap the ethernet cord coming out of my DLink wireless adapter I’ve been using for my Xbox and throw it in to my PC and I’d be ready to rock, apparently not.

Is there any reason this shouldn’t work? Trying to figure out if I set it up wrong or am just trying to do something impossible.

Thanks

like internet sharing through the PC?

INTERNET ---- PC ----- Xbox

or

INTERNET ----- Xbox via wireless.??

the first one i know is possible… the second one… I’m not familiar with xbox but i’m sure its do able

Wireless.

Currently goes

Xbox–> Adapter – wireless – Wireless Router — Intranets

Want it to do

HTPC-- Adapter – wireless – Wireless Router ---- Intranets

HTPC / Xbox are in living room, wireless router / desktop / modem are upstairs in office.

yea… thats probably easier than the xbox IMO… what’s holding you back?

It just says no connectivity. When I try to renew the IP I get the same. When I do ipconfig /all it is populated, but it thinks it is offline. Do I have to set it up some odd way? Should I manually force IPs/ DNS?

Walter, I got the same exact message/problem when I put a router in between my computer and my modem/router combo so I could also hook up my xbox. Xbox worked fine, PC didn’t

I didn’t know what the problem was… so I just took it out. Never tried it since.

let us know if you find a solution

Have you tried manually setting the IPs/DNS? What intrawebs service are you using? I know Time Warner just switched their DNS servers from Adelphia’s

You prolly have an IP issue.

The bridge has an IP, your PC needs an IP set on it. Your bridge should know of the router and forward everything to that. You PC needs to know the IP of the bridge and send everything to that address.

Just guessing on the numbers but its prolly something similar to this:

Router: 192.168.1.1
Bridge: 192.168.1.100
PC: 192.168.1.200

The PC needs to set DNS and default gateway to 192.168.1.100 and then the bridge should have the router as its default gateways.

Some of those things are smarter than others so you might not haveto configure all of this but the one I did see that I used on a office printer was stupid and had to have the stuff configured.

So PC needs to have the DNC and gateway match the bridge IP? The bridge I’m assuming is already set up since wammo blammo, it already works.

I’ll try changing the PC setup when I get home.

Thanks for the tip!

Apparently just restarting the computer solved the issue. :shrug:

Didn’t have to set anything up.

Only getting around 100k/s though.