Considering 2006 Honda Pilot

Since the Pathfinder is literally on its last legs, me and the wifey have been looking at something to replace it. So after much car shopping (sitting in vechicles, slamming doors, adjusting seats), we’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that the 2006 Honda Pilot is absolutely the best deal for an SUV in the market today.

We’re thinking about an 2WD EX model with Leather and Navigation - carsdirect is offering a price of $30,500. For less than a thousand more, we could get a 4wd instead.

After some research, I know of the possible “70 MPH vibration”, so I will take the vehicle we plan on buying on the highway to ensure there is no such thing. But aside from that - anyone have any thoughts? any suggestions on comparables?

Wifey doesn’t like the Murano (my sister has one and though I am impressed by the handling and the power, I am concerned with the CVT tranny with all these steep streets here and the power that Nissan 3.5 puts out) and I don’t like the Highligher b/c its ugly.

My neighbors got one about 6 months ago and love it. It’s got almost as much room inside as my Expedition, but it’s smaller outside and gets better MPG. No where near the towing capacity, but since they don’t tow it’s not an issue.

ive always had a soft spot for the pilot, and im one to hate SUV’s. if i ever was to get one, the pilot would be it

I make fun of people that drive them… but that’s just me :wink:

Good luck with the purchase :tup:

i wokred at a Honda dealer for a while, and i drove a lot of them and i just…don’t like it.

Forester ExTEE 2.5 turbo If your going mini ute. PM SIo1 for a test drive im sure he could hook you up.

he lives in california.

the pilot is a lot bigger than the Forester.

The Pilot would be the equivalent of the B9 Tribeca.

b9 tribeca = ugly as sin on the outside, but I’ve heard it’s worth it on the inside.

i was just gonna ask, why the hell get a 2wd, but then i realized that you are in Cali. Why get an SUV anyways, im curious

I know youre an import guy but you should really consider domestics if youre going SUV…they represent most of the models available and youre really narrowing it down by only checkin out the imports

Wait till end of August. My cousin picked up a 2005 EX AWD No leather for 26k + TTL. Im pretty sure you can get a better deal than what you get quoted for.

Honda > domestic competition

I personally really like the B9 Tribeca. Okay, the front is scary, but the rest is beautiful. And they’re pretty fun to drive.

In this market, No.
The 07 tahoe/yukon outclass anything import for the low 30’s. Stick to civics.

i would think living in cali dealing with those gas prices, id be looking at a vespa

Ehhh. I think each has their own strong points. I think the Tahoe/Yukon are the best big SUV’s, but they’re still big SUVs (trucks). A lot of people like that, some don’t. For those of us that wish we could have full size station wagons still, the Pilot and Tibeca are splendid.

I’m anticipating the Buick Enclave. I think it may be something very, very good for GM. :slight_smile:

Surprisingly the gas prices in the Bay Area are comparable to the gas prices in WNY. I think it has to do with the fact that there are some refineries in the local Bay Area. Gas prices aren’t playing a huge role in our decision making - although its one of the main reasons for me giving the 2WD drive more consideration than it would naturally be. We would save 150 lbs by going with FWD only, and with the new Variable Cylinder Management (VCM - shuts down 3 cylinders when not needed) it increase mileage / gallon slightly.

Although the new technology makes me a bit nervous.

Honestly, we haven’t considered domestic for a few reasons - nothing within the Pilot’s size and price range is comparable in terms of build quality, value and reliability. The new Tahoe is nice but b/c we travel into the city quite a bit for work and play, the Pilot is already nearly 10% too big for a majority of the parking spaces (which includes the parking lots themselves). Additionally, we’re not looking for a true truck ala body on ladder frame - we would prefer a unibody.

Thought about the 2.5 XT, but we’re not really crazy about the look of a “tall wagon”. Maybe the 2.5 GT wagon…

But in terms of price to features (total value), its hard to beat the Pilot. for 31k, you can have a mid size SUV with leather, moonroof, navigation, reverse camera, 4WD, third row seating and Honda build quality and reliability.

I definitely don’t see a need for 4WD where you are, but why do you even need an SUV at all? I ask because the Forester suggestion is a good one, IMO.

I actually want the Odyssey b/c the interior is mad hottness.

Twin Power sliding doors FTW.

But wifey wants something beefy but she doesn’t like wagons and but she likes the new camry but I don’t want FWD and a 4door G35 is too much money…

My wife needs a new car and I have driven most all of the mid-size SUV’s in the last few weeks. To me, each has at least one significant flaw from my perspective. I’ll list them below. But she likes the Tribeca and 'cause it’s for her, that’s what I guess we will buy. Styling is too subjective, so I didn’t comment on it.

Faults of the Midsize SUV’s whihc I drove.

1. Tribeca. Vague steering, blind spot due to thick A pillar.
  2. Highlander: Bland, bland, bland. So, so power (forget the 4cyl.). Cheesy fake woodgrain.
  3. Touareg: $$$$
  4. Murano: wierd feel from CVT tranny.
  5. Pilot: too big. If I wanted one this big, who not go all out for an '07 Tahoe and be able to really spread out, tow some stuff, etc. Needs more power.
  6. Trailblazer: too big for the wifey, vague steering.
  7. Equinox/VUE/whatever they call the Pontiac version: Generally “tinny”, sorry , can’t be more specific.
  8. Kia: Kia??

There are lot’s of others in the same general range. None of them really wowed me. I liked the Touareg best, but it’s just too much $$$ for a vehicle of this type. Bet I’d like the Cayenne.