Constant Clutch Issues?

Hey guys,

This post might be a little vague but I’ll explian as best as I can.

Okay, so I’m in NJ now but my 240 is in Toronto. My clutch was slipping so I left it there. My dad took it to the shop and they swapped an OEM clutch in and changed something with the slave cylinder (not sure exactly what?). Anyways, my brother said everything was fine. The car was running fine. So its a few weeks later now and my dad calls me and tells me the clutch is gone again.

Now i’m not sure if the clutch is actually gone, my dad doesn’t know anything about manual trannys. ANy ideas what this is? I haven’t seen the car in a good while so I have no idea what is actually going on. But do you guys have any thoughts on whats happening? I haven’t talked to my brother yet, after I talk to him i’ll post an update on exactly what was done to the car, and whats happening now.

Just wondering if you guys had any thoughts now. I’m pissed,and clueless my babys out of comission.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

When a clutch is replaced, often the slave or master cylinder goes out as well.

check both for leaks.

Make sure the system is blead well.

You wanna sell it? Heh.

Theo

Alright, so I’m back in the t-dot. Basically whats wrong with the car is that the clutch engages rough, its not as smooth as it was before it went. Also, sometimes its hard to get into gear when the car is stoppped so basically i have to start it in gear (reverse). Also, my brother said when the clutch was first replaced it engaged low to the ground now its engaging really high…and it slips according to him…i’ve never had it slip.

any ideas on what I should do? they replaced the primary, and slave cylinder, clutch, and machined the flywheel.

how long is the clutch break-in period normally?
do you think its just a break in issue?

make sure it is adjusted and bled properly. but if they just changed the clutchc they should have to touch the bleeding system on the slave cylinder. but make sure and see what they touched. it should feel roughly the same break in perioed is like a day

sorry i meant to say they shouldn’t of touched the bleeding system on the slave cylinder

ADJUST !!! ADJUST !!! ADJUST!!! I keep saying this over and over on this board and nobody seems to clue in. As the clutch wears the pedal may need adjusting…

If the clutch is replaced it may need adjusting. When they install a clutch at a shop they will rarely adjust the pedal…

I speak from experience. I put a new master and slave on, pled the lines and I could not get the cluth to work…took it to Mr. Trany and they could not figure it out and did not even want to take on the problem. Then one day I adjusted the pedal and …WOW!!! it worked.

I have fixed at least 7 clutch problems by simply adjusting the pedal.
Last Niagara meet when K, Hill was having clutch problems…I simly took my trusty 14mm wrench and ADJUSTED THE PEDAL!!! and it worked.

If it is not dissengageing prop or the pedal is close to the floor then turn the rod to clockwise. If it is slipping or pedal is really high then turn counter clock wise

Or you can just call me and I will charge you a flat rate of $30/hr and it will only take me 5 min. :lol:

thanx buddie. i jsut told him to see the adjustment. its very important for a clutch to work properly

Drifter,

The pedal adjustment did the trick. I actually had no play on the clutch pedal. A little bit of adjustment and everything is fine.

I also changed the tranny fluid. I called the shop and they said to switch to auto tranny fluid (red stuff) instead of the thicker stuff that was in there. This was a bitch to do though, i need a lift in my garage.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tom

yah… going from a clutch thats “on its way out” to a new clutch definately requires an adjustment…

My clutch makes a squeak, only sometimes. How exactly do you adjust the clutch, I’m new to this stuff!

Your clutch or your pedal? The pedal pivots on a bushing that can squeek sometimes. Give it a little shot of grease and it should quiet down. If it’s your actual clutch disk that is making the noise I suggest you shoot the mice living in your bellhousing.