coolant mixture

hey, when you mix ur coolant, if u have too much coolant, it will over heat, and too much water, and it will freeze, (im up in yellowknife, nwt). is that correct? thanks

I don’t think having too much coolant will cause your engine to over heat, but if you have too much water it will freeze. I believe a 50-50 mixture of coolant and water is good to -35 C.

Just read the bottle when you get it. The info is all on there.

everyone says used distilled water but has anyone really noticed a difference? Personally I’m too lazy to measure anything and just get the pre-mixed stuff.

The difference will be in the contaminants you put into your cooling system. The reason you want distilled water is because it’s “cleaner” than regular tap water. Same reason you’re supposed to use it in batteries - they conduct more electricity with less contaminants.

The only difference it will make is that the contaminants can help gum up or rust out your cooling system a lot faster.

You just go 50-50 mixture based on your eyes or feel. You don’t have to setup a chemistry lab and transplant everything or else it will explode… More antifreeze then water, it will gel up on you and gum up and become useless. More water will freeze. BUT you have to have WAYYY more then one or the other for those extremes to happen. Fill the jug up half way with water, then put antifreeze it and your done.

Being up in Yellowknife you might want to go 60/40 coolant/water. The extra coolant will actually raise your boiling point even more.

I always splurge and get the extra 4L of that deionized water they sell in the coolant isle. Dont know if it helps but its only an extra $3 anyways.

I always splurge and get the extra 4L of that deionized water they sell in the coolant isle. Dont know if it helps but its only an extra $3 anyways.[/quote]Me too. But I think at CT it’s less than $2.50.

The thing I wonder about that “de-ionized” water at CT is I thought you want De-mineralized water!??
The minerals in the water can aid in the tarnishing and rusting of a coolant system from the inside out right?

I usually shoot for about -40 to about -45 in my coolant so I would go 60/40 or 65/35 if you want to be real precise about it. And also if you do a flush where you run water through for awhile then the first bit of antifreeze you put in after draining should be straight, then a 75/25 then 50/50. The straight antifreeze is good at the start because there will always be water left somewhere. Besides it never hurts to have a little more coolant than water.

I"m pretty sure the prestone stuff is distilled water + coolant. I through in a couple bottles of water wetter too, and honestly I havn’t noticed a difference. Oddly enough, my temperature gets a little higher in the winter then in the summer, I think it has something to do with the cold weather with my thermostat not kicking in the fans soon enough.

Speaking of coolant/rad topic, my upper rad hose is a PITA and I cannot get it to stop leaking. I have my thermostat going in there so I have a small copper wire trying to clamp down on. The outlet from the rad seems smaller then collector on the RB, the RB side has never leaked, the KA rad side I can’t figure out what works, I’ve pretty much tried everything. Anyone got some tips or wanna come and help out at home???