Water Vs. Antifreeze

do you guys use antifreeze in your cars or just water? I was reading somewere that water is a better coolant then antifreeze?

50/50 the old coolant ( green )
never ever ran straight water :nuts:
dont know about the newer cars ( orangish )

IIRC…

Propylene Glycol, the common ingredient in anti-freeze, prevents the cooling system from freezing up in winter, and overheating in summer, when mixed in the proper ratio of prop/water.

Straight water in winter = cracked block
Straight water in summer = warped heads

http://www.lyondell.com/html/products/techlit/2516.pdf

what do you do with car?

racing, usually did straight water but drained water after done racing.

but usually 50/50 mix

Water = new engine in pittsburgh. You block would crack on the first night temperature dropped below freezing.

If you are having overheating problems, you may want to consider an upgrade in your cooling sytem. Pittsburgh = cold winters and hot summers.

If your racing use water mixed with water wetter. Best stuff ever made. Cools like 40% better then anti freeze and its not toxic

Not really true, previous winter 2004
I went a week or so without antifreeze and the temps where in the 20’s all week.
had more than 3/4 of water, after the changing the t-stat a week prior.

The no heat was obvious:rofl:
yet , the block cracks this year :embarassd

put a 2 liter of pepsi in your freezer full of water tonight and see what happens…3/4 full nothing happens, but who runs there car 3/4 full?

more than 3/4 of water mixed with slight antifreeze.

That was a good week :shaggy: :boink

According to test results from magazines etc, water is the best thing you can use for cooling your engine. Using straight water will not warp your heads in the summer, but it can freeze in the winter. Straight tap water contains too many minerals and other impurities that can cause corrosion and clogging especially with aluminum radiators and heater cores. Distilled water is the best.

A popular 4x4 magazine did a test on the Water Wetter, 40 Below and other cooling additives and found that most of them had no substantial improvement in cooling over straight water. The 40 Below stuff had good results. My bro in law uses something called Ice Blue or blue ice + distilled water in his CR250 and he never has cooling problems and there is absolutely no corrosion in his radiators or engine.

I use distilled water with Redline water wetter in the summer and antifreeze mixed with distilled water in the winter.

on the road courses i know bikes have to run straight water. and some use watter wetter. i use 50/50 but its a dakota. straight water cools the best but if it gets up to 220+ sittin in traffic or something like that you are screwed.

50/50 dex equivalent

add tang to the water

DI water is the best for cooling. We use them in all of our cooling systems at work.

The Orange shit also works good but it has its setbacks.
The orange shit was designed for british cars which have closed coolant systems. The problem we have is when the shit contacts with air it likes to start clumping up. In my car, the system was completely clogged. It took me forever to get that shit out of there. Hence I switched to 50/50 with the green shit.

Engine Ice is what you are talking about. It is way better than DI water or any other anti-freeze. We are sponsored by them for motorcycle racing and shit shit works real good. Especially with the new 4-strokes tending to overheat.

If you check out this data sheet, you will see a graph illustrating different coolant mixture’s ability to remove heat from aluminum.

http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/17.pdf

In my road race series, we are not permitted to run any antifreeze. Most of us run water and Red Line Water Wetter.

Antifreeze performs three tasks - it keeps coolant from freezing, it is a corrosion inhibitor and it lubricates the water pump.

If you aren’t having cooling issues and this is a street car, I would recommend running 50/50 to retain the corrosion inibiting and lubrication functions. If you are having cooling issues, then you might want to consider reducing the ratio of antifreeze in your mixture, but you need to be careful not to eliminate the ability to stop the coolant from freezing. Water wetter claims to assist in cooling, too…

the only time Id run straight water is the first startup on a new engines. Keeps the mess down if theres any leaks and its not as damaging to internels as glycol if theres any major problems.

other than that I usually just run 50/50 green and I used to run engine ice in my dirt bikes.

i run a 50/50 mix or urine and semen.

talkin about the car not your diet. :puke:

:nono: I just have shaggy come and fart into my overflow tank.